IGNORED

Manafold questions.

zerozero

Originally posted by Royce

Well, those are certainly not US Z Hitachi SU carbs.

I must be missing something, why aren't these carbs Hitachi's?

What do other''s think as I think they are!

I had thought that the original question in the tread was what head did it fit on?

I would think that you could safly say not a Nissan one, but what?

I would think that they are the later british su's, when you look at the side on pic in the gallery, they look more like the integrated(non bowl) pommy ones than the jap hitachis. As to what they came off, no idea, maybe a big healey or triumph?

Hello Z Kid.

The mystery carbs wont bolt onto the standard N36 manifold as there are three mounting holes in the carb and 4 on the standard manifold. I dont think they are British as they have ASIAN ISO in the casting on the side.

Thanks Simon

That air cleaner is so very, very Nissan-ish. I can't think of another Nissan inline 6 except the P motor from the Patrol. But, that was fitted with a single carb and a Huge round upright can air filter and was mounted on the passenger side of the engine.

Well I can confim that does not looking anything like a Z manifold at all. I see one in my garage everyday so I would confirm not a Z manifold. The air cleaner does look Nissan ish but it's alot shorter than the 240z one.

Best way to check the Hitachi British versions I'd say would be check the mixture nut at the bottom of the carb. If it's a nut I'd say it's British and if it's a Hitachi it should be a nice circular knob like a Television one that's nice and easy to turn.

The linkage does not look Z like.

Unfortunately I'm no SU expert still learning but the only differences between the SU's sold on the US version and Australian ones are:

The 73 mdl US Spec had additional emission controls and valves where as the Aus spec ones were pretty similar all the way thru 70-70..

Feel free to correct me here.

Quoting from the other uploaded photo in your gallery [looking in with cover off].

Whilst the aircleaner is Nissanish, it's definately been hacked up to get these SU's to match, and not a good hack either!

So what do we now know.

1. Air cleaner possible Nissan.

2. Manifold possibly British.

3. Definately not a L24/6/8/ series head.

4. Opinions vary as to the SU's [Hitachi or British or whatever].

5. No one has any idea what type of car/motor these where fitted on, but I would be inclined to think British.

Anyone for a game of darts!

My wild guess would be that the manifold came off an old Toyota Crown. One of the "sports" models came with twin SUs on a straight 6. The motor had a crossflow head which seems to match your manifolds appearance.

Ah,

Mr 26ounce is starting to get very close.................

zerozero - that's "AISAN" not 'asian' cast on the side of the carb bodies ( It wasn't only Hitachi that licensed the Skinners Union patent for Japan........... ).

Aircleaner box is not original ( at least not original colour ).

Who's going to take the crown?

Alan T.

( sorry to be so cryptic, but I'm three sheets to the wind and its time for bed ).