IGNORED

Manafold questions.

zerozero

I have a 1976 Dastun 260Z 2+2. It has the original 260Z flat top carbs ( Boat anchors)and N36 manifolds with four bolt carb holes.

Recently while in Australia I picked up a set of carbs, aircleaner and manifold as well as an unused manifold that some Dude that reckoned the were off a 240z that he crashed 20 yrs earlier.

The manifold is a webed design that look like they are off a crossflow head. They do not have space for exaust ports. The numbers on them are 41025 and the unused one is 41026.The SU looking carbs have 1G26 and Asian ISO stamped on them.

Hopefully this will mean something to somebody.

So what I want to no is which manifold number do I need to get hold of to bolt the three hole carbs to my head (Engines)

I have tried the search function and have learnt plenty, but hasnt been able to help. Any assistance would be appreciated.

I can post photo's tomorrow if that helps.

Thanks Simon

I have not heard of a carb manifold for the US Z like that. Pictures would be helpful. You can use the N36 manifold, in fact many consider it the preferable manifold to use with the earlier SU style Hitachi carbs. In the US it is common to swap the balance tube from an earlier manifold to eliminate some of the smog gear. But I don't know if this is necessary for a non-US N36 manifold. Anyway, the carb bodies themselves should bolt up to the N36 manifold.

Pictures of the carbs and both manifolds would help.

I took a look at the picture you attached to this thread. It is hard to see much of the carbs other than the domes. And from that all I can say is they look like SU type carbs. The air cleaner surely doesn't look like a US round top SU type carb air cleaner. It is the right color but the shape of the air inlet is totally different. And the manifold would not work on any of the US Z carb heads. The mount bolts are too far in the corners, US heads bolts are closer over the holes of the ports. Also the US Z carb heads don't have wather inlets between the rear ports. One more thing is that the thermostat housing is not part of the US manifolds and it is further forward on the head.

It also looks like there are vacuum diaphrams on both carbs. US 240Z SU carbs only have a vacuum fitting on the front carb for the distributor vacuum advance.

The linkage looks somewhat Z like. Either this is off a Z with a very different head design or a different straight 6 engine. How about a picture from the other side with the air cleaner off?

Sorry, I cannot be more helpful in identifying these carbs!!! :(

Hi Royce,

Simon was querying the manifold.

I must say it is interesting, I've certainly never seen anything like it and could only guess it may have been associated with a 240K or GL?

That would mean a different head to the types we are used to! Crossflow, the mind boggles......

I wonder if the SU's are actually Zed SU's?

I have seen many zeds running around with smaller SU's from SSS, with owners thinking that they where the correct ones!

Measure the head side of the carb body if you have time.

Well, those are certainly not US Z Hitachi SU carbs. The carb bodies are very, very different. I am pretty sure that they are from a non-Datsun vehicle but don't know what they might be from. But hey! That doesn't mean you cannot get them to work on a Z. But you will likely need to get them to mount to a Z manifold.

Oh, I wouldn't say that at all. If you cannot make these work on a Z than they would certainly be valuable to someone. I would think much more than the "boat anchor" US flat top carbs. I have also heard of people using British SU carbs on Z's with good success. I'll have to take a look at my Ztherapy video again to see if he shows carbs like these. I am pretty sure he goes over British and Volvo SU carbs.