BayAreaZ650

Picking up a 1977 280z 6 Hours Away. Tips?

2 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

You could make your own paper gasket pretty easily.

That's a good idea. Would be an easy one to make.

2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

I'm not so sure that there's an O-ring there.  The ones I've seen are just two machined flats, no gasket, no O-ring.  Worth removing to take a look, for sure, though.  Easy.  19 mm wrench.

I just went and messed with one I had off to see what I remembered.  The body of the one I looked at is metal, crimped around a plastic mechanism.  some have a metal plunger.  I don't know if there's an O-ring inside or not.  But the plastic portion was loose in its seat in the metal body.  I wiggled it and oil started to work its way out.   I think that the plastic, or internal O-rings, shrink after a few million heat cycles and leaks start.

image.png

image.png

image.png

Thank you for the photos! I placed an order for a new switch so I can fix that transmission leak.

Right now I'm trying to find the source of an oil leak. It only leaks out a few drops each day but I want go ahead and fix it. I tightened all the oil pan bolts because I noticed that they were loose. Hopefully this fixes the issue.

Good morning,

i’ll be working on replacing the coolant in the Z and installing a Fram g3 fuel filter. There’s two lines coming from the fuel tank. Do I install the fuel filter on the line that connects to the fuel pump?

18 minutes ago, BayAreaZ650 said:

Good morning,

i’ll be working on replacing the coolant in the Z and installing a Fram g3 fuel filter. There’s two lines coming from the fuel tank. Do I install the fuel filter on the line that connects to the fuel pump?

There's a small arrow on those filters that shows flow direction. Point it to the pump. Let me see if I can do this...yep! Learning this phone. LOL

http://www.atlanticz.ca/zclub/techtips/fuel/g3filter/index.htm

Yes, you are correct. Connect it to the line that goes to the pump. 6f4f2cdb834bc286a3a7e7b2dd521d73.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thank you guys! It’s all installed.

I do see bits of rust in the g3 filter. I am not sure if the previous owner has ever cleaned the tank. Should the.g3 filter be enough to clean rust out of the tank or should I drop it?

If you're seeing rust in the filter, there's likely a lot more in the tank. Many of us (myself included) have removed a surprising amount of rust from our tanks. I recommend dropping it and cleaning it properly. Short version is to rinse with muriatic acid then coat with RedKote, Por-15 or something similar. Not a hard project, just a bit of a pain, but worth the peace of mind. 

I thought the purpose of the filter was so that you wouldn't have to drop the tank?  The filter is the peace of mind.

That's probably fair...I have a filter too, and it is for peace of mind...dropping and cleaning the tank is a fix.

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

The thing about the EFI cars is that have a pretty large filter before the rail already.  The prefilter is mostly to save the fuel pump.

I agree the fuel filter is a precautionary measure not a fix. It will save you from damaging your fuel pump which is expensive for an OEM one.
    If you see rust then your tank is failing. It will only get worst and became a hazard to a reliable vehicle. It will have to be cleaned eventually so do it next off season (winter). It’s actually a pain in the arse in my opinion. Don’t put BB’s in you tank either after pulling it to use a an agitation agent to break on the rust. You’ll never get them out. I met a guy first hand who did this and it was a nightmare. He had to cut a door into the tank to get all them out and then weld it back. He eventually dipped his tank in a trash can full of 5:1 diluted water and muriatic acid followed by an immediate rinse in baking soda bath to neutralize the acid and then he poured POR-15 in there. It’s a messy job for sure.
    I had mine professionally cleaned inside and out by a semi-truck radiator shop and it looks like new. Cost me $350.
    This a must do job to build a reliable car in my opinion. It’s just one of the things you need to do eventually on an old car.
    Here are pics of the inside and outside on my tank post cleaning and painting all done by the repair shop. Do it right the first time and save yourself time and hassles.
    f7a1920ed5ffd8a164d340d0890036f0.jpg9a352700494c7af1c79802cd95103121.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Went on a drive today with my dad and it drove well today! The fiancé and I went through a good amount of maintenance these past two weeks.

The transmission leak stopped after changing the switch! Thank you guys for this tip to fix it.

Next weekend we will address two issues: a fuel leak in the gas tank right under the filler cap.

The other issue is the cylindrical housing to the right of the oil filter is slowly leaking. What part would fix this issue?

B8E85DBE-B12A-49B2-8C33-43B41382CB4B.jpeg

879887BE-8212-4F1A-AA81-7D66FF0F743D.jpeg

33 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I've put teflon tape on my oil senders. No leaks.

Good idea, did you put the Teflon tape on the oil sender threads?

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, BayAreaZ650 said:

Good idea, did you put the Teflon tape on the oil sender threads?

Yes. They're the male end. The sender is. Hope that fixes it!

If you're gonna buy some I'd get that thick pink tape. I love that stuff better than the thin white.

Edited by siteunseen

Might be better to use a high temp Permatex Thread Sealant vice Teflon tape because I don’t think those tapes are designed to be exposed to petroleum products. Go to Autozone and get Permatex thread sealant. It comes in a small travel toothpaste size container. My 2 cents.

34c6405a099547b9058991609401cce1.jpg

Thank you for this.

To remove the sender unit, do you just hold the cylindrical portion and rotate counter clockwise?

10 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Yes. Lefty loosey...

Sorry, I thought the cylindrical thing was a cover. I was able to get it off. Thank you!

The sender is leaking through the actual unit.

They are notorious for leaking when they get old.  Time for a new one.

ZcarDepot or MSA have them.

• Like 1