IGNORED

280Z fusible links

EuroDat

I had the camera handy, so I took some additional pics. Here's the correct position for the links on the 77-78. This time I took the pic from the angle that everyone likes. As it's shown in the FSM:
P1140591.JPG

And here's a pic that (although it's hard to tell), you can actually see that one of the White/Red wires is larger than the other three. That's the position that gets the largest (black) fusible link. The W/R wire gauge is larger to account for the higher current that circuit can potentially carry. Who knows... Since the blocks are just screwed to the fender well, maybe some of them have been switched around? So if you're looking for a way to definitively determine which location gets the largest fusible link, you can check the wire gauge sizes:
P1140594b.jpg

And here's a pic of what remains of my fusible link labeling. Can't make out any of the color listings. Would be great if a 77 or 78 owner could post a pic of better condition labels, but this is all I got left. I can make out ??L (which I assume would be H-L) and "IGN", but that's it:
P1140600.JPG

Here is a 1/76 build date 1976.  I just left what was there when I got it.  Cleaned them up and gave them a little extra crimp.  Obviously a driver, not a show car.  I think those are the original caps, they're in good shape too.  With patina.

image.png

image.png

19 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Yeah, I know @wal280z is all dreamy about the fuse replacements (note that I didn't say "upgrade" ) for the stock system. He's that kind of guy. Lives for the bling.  ROFL

Call it what you want.... I've got 2 (well, one now since I used a slot for my headlight relay feed) spare +12V fused feeds that I don't have to tap off the battery. No gremlins and no maintenance. Nothing about this screams 'bling'.

100_5146.JPG

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, wal280z said:

Call it what you want....  No gremlins and no maintenance. Nothing about this screams 'bling'.

Haha!! Very nice! Next time we're together, well have a fuse-off.

So... Out of curiosity, what value fuses did you use, and what made you choose those values?

On 3/13/2019 at 12:36 AM, Captain Obvious said:

What change? I'm not sure what change you're talking about. The 77 and 78 manuals both look the same as far as the links go.

Just reading this now and see I made a typo. I should have went to bed about 30 minutes before that post.

I meant August 1976, or I believe the change was around that point. That would mean there are cars built after August 76 with the 77/78 fusible link layout.

Screenshot_20190315-224256.jpg

Edited by EuroDat
Typo :(
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Haha!! Very nice! Next time we're together, well have a fuse-off.

So... Out of curiosity, what value fuses did you use, and what made you choose those values?

The brown fusible links were replaced by 30A Maxi-fuses.

Why? Fusible link "D" has the most draw on the right-hand side of the fuse-block inside the cabin. It hasn't blown. I didn't want to start high and end up melting the inside fuse-block.

The alternator output is at an 80A maxi-fuse. My memory is going to the crapper and that crapper is flushed multiple times a day, but, if I recall correctly, I found a internally regulated 65A alternator from a early 80's Maxima in the junkyard. There's a 60A Maxi-fuse, and there's an 80A Maxi-fuse. Which would you choose?

3 hours ago, EuroDat said:

Just reading this now and see I made a typo. I should have went to bed about 30 minutes before that post.

I meant August 1976, or I believe the change was around that point. That would mean there are cars built after August 76 with the 77/78 fusible link layout.

Haha!!   LOL   That's what I figured. And the August 1976 would be the start of the 77 "model year", so it all makes sense.