IGNORED

Hard to find Redline MT90

7tooZ

My testimonial-----I still stand by it.

"Had a notchiness in 1 to 2 shifts on my low mileage trans.

Decided to try Royal Purple as that was all I could find as "upgrade" locally.

No change.

Changed to Redline after ordering it from online as it was the one that was supposedly much better.

No change.

Enter A/C Delco Friction Modified-----kaaaazzing-----we have a winner!!

~$32.00 for three quarts----some of the best "bang for the buck" money I've spent on the Z. Notchiness is gone --all shifts are much smoother.

Spend the money on it and be done with it for years to come-----enjoy the benefit with every shift!!!

HIGHLY RECOMMENDED AAAA++++"

• Like 3

One key is to know what you're trying to fix.  High RPM synchro problems and notchiness are different things.  Many people use plain old 75-90w and do fine, while saving some money.

If you want to get fancy use Swepco 201 and ATF at a 3:1 ratio.  I use it on my old worn ZX 5 speed and it fixed all of my problems.  That's a JMortensen suggestion, except he mixes at 1:1 I think.

Sorry I should have been more specific about what I am doing.
I Have the car on jack stands to replace the speedometer drive gear from a blue (3.70 gear) to the white for a 3.90 gear set. I drained the gear lube to check for any signs that something is wrong. I purchased this transmission 1000 miles ago. I found no signs of unusual wear in the oil or the magnet. I have been using MT90 in my transmissions for 15 yrs. and was surprised when I couldn’t find any on the self atOriellys, AutoZone or NAPA. Amazon has it but have to wait. Thought I would see if others have better ideas. Just need a good gear oil. $32 doesn’t seem expensive. @Zup always has good advice. Anybody else want to weight in?

72 body and block, everything else 71, Tokico springs, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Ztherapy SUs, BRE 15X7 Libre wheels and BRE front spoiler.

Thanks 7tooZ.

It isn't my idea, only my observed results and belief.

Credit goes to Chickenman, as he described it at length in this thread from 2015. He always has good advice---he was a Nissan certified tech for years I believe.

I'm using Synchromesh in a Ford transmission and it's good stuff.  I've been thinking about using the Friction-modified for a little more.  It's a notoriously notchy transmission.  The Ford spec. Mercon V was terrible compared to the Synchromesh.

My testimonial-----I still stand by it.
"Had a notchiness in 1 to 2 shifts on my low mileage trans.
Decided to try Royal Purple as that was all I could find as "upgrade" locally.
No change.
Changed to Redline after ordering it from online as it was the one that was supposedly much better.
No change.
Enter A/C Delco Friction Modified-----kaaaazzing-----we have a winner!!
~$32.00 for three quarts----some of the best "bang for the buck" money I've spent on the Z. Notchiness is gone --all shifts are much smoother.
Spend the money on it and be done with it for years to come-----enjoy the benefit with every shift!!!
HIGHLY RECOMMENDED AAAA++++"

Is this what you are recommending
IMG_0062.JPG

72 body and block, everything else 71, Tokico springs, Illumina, R180 CLSD, 83 close ratio, 3.90 gears, Ztherapy SUs, BRE 15X7 Libre wheels and BRE front spoiler.

Yessiree!

I mean---

whoa-wait a minute---that isn't Friction Modified!

You ought to be able to get A/C Delco Friction Modified transmission fluid from any GM dealer.

2011-10-15115242.jpg

Edited by Zup