IGNORED

Which engine for a 77’ 280z

Av8ferg

I like the looks of that one too. The sticker on the valve cover makes me think it's a really stock motor. 

You could have that p79 shaved a little to bring up the CR. After reading on here for years those seem to be the head people want. I gave one away a couple of yesrs ago but it was to a nice guy so no regrets. I know where a couple more are.

The 202k engine has a "match box" distributor.  Might be a 79 ZX engine.  So it will have a ZX intake and exhaust manifold.  One thing to think about.  Your exhaust pipe won't fit it, and the AFM hoses are different size.  The 148k looks pretty good.  They're both intact.  You might loosen a hose clamp and smell the fuel.  Might be a clue about how long they've been sitting.  Looks like your like-for-like swap option is gone, the 76 N42, or maybe you haven't seen it yet.

If they come with a warranty you might plan ahead to set them up and make them run.  With a can of ether and a battery you could fire them up on distributor power alone.  You'll need a way to spin though if you don't have a spare transmission.  I wired up my spare EFI harness on an engine I bought at on a half-price day at the local yard, to make sure it was decent and I didn't need to return it. It was fun.

6 hours ago, Av8ferg said:

So here are two more I found.
First 1982’ had 148k miles when pulled. Runs. $490 delivered to my house.
IMG_8960.jpg

Hey, how about that - it's got the fuel rail you were looking for!

As far as a cam-oiler - gotta find the one somewhere in the garage.... I know it's out there, laughing at me every time I pass by it looking for it...

Wayne

• Like 1

It’s a P79. It looks pretty clean. I pulled the dip stick, it was already drained but looked clean. I didn’t see any major leaks or rust around the block of this engine. The fact that he’ll delivery it and it’s 15 miles from my house make this the winner. He’s giving me a 60 day money back guarantee that it will run without any major mechanical problems.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

It’s a P79. It looks pretty clean. I pulled the dip stick, it was already drained but looked clean. I didn’t see any major leaks or rust around the block of this engine. The fact that he’ll delivery it and it’s 15 miles from my house make this the winner. He’s giving me a 60 day money back guarantee that it will run without any major mechanical problems.

Looks like I need to clear my schedule to 'get r done'...

I'll bring all my spare stuff but she does look like a good candidate.

11 hours ago, 240260280 said:

Often when a 280z runs rough, simply cleaning the electrical connectors will bring it back.

It may be useful to do the above health checks before swapping engines so that the electrical is debugged...

+1 there. I've got to figure out why my fuel pump cuts out when I lift off the accelerator.  @Captain Obvious 'bush fix' has remedied that, but I would rather it work like it should (while modified, of course.... LOL)

Wayne

34 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

Let the hoarding begin...

He said his parents had a barn...?

I have an 8x12 storage building from floor to ceiling packed with all things Z related. It does have a spare refrigerator with all my electical stuff crammed in to keep the humidity/moisture out. Learned that from a welder.

You can "pay it forward" & trade stuff over the years. You realize this is more than a hobby right? You've joined a community now Sir. :love:

Edited by siteunseen

58 minutes ago, Av8ferg said:

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd love to build a framed up motor holder with a lawnmower gas tank and radiator to run motors out of the cars. That would be easier for the carbed motors than efi.