IGNORED

Rare Step Lights

5 hours ago, 240dkw said:

Yes, i agree the door switch would turn them off and on, just not sure how the wire would go from the switch to the lights in the door. The wires would have to be long enough to open the door all the way and not to long to get pinched it the door when closed. As well as holes drilled in both the door and A pillar. Seems like a lot, when the hole is already in the door card and wires run in the harness. Much more than plug and play. 

It appears there are extra OP parts (both discontinued) for the wires and a clip for the door. It does look like they plug right into the dash harness as mentioned above.

Still there would have to be some path through the door and A pillar as you mentioned. Like adding speakers to a bare door. Some plastic or rubber grommets, and some rubber flex conduit, or the like. 

wires.jpg

part no..jpg

I have also seen these referred to as 'puddle lights' and 'threshold lights'.  Intended to help your passenger not get her expensive footwear wet when having to exit into uncharted territory. 

You get one on your side, too, but that's not important.

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...

Seeing as I am a sucker for Datsun esoteric minutiae, here is something for y'all.

Step lights were offered rarely on a 240z.

How about step lights for a 260z or early 280z?

The top panel in the first picture is a 240z with a light cutout of about 3 1/2" X 1 1/2 inches.

Below the top panel in the first foto is an early 280z door panel with the same looking type of cutout measuring about 3" x 1" .

The second picture shows the location of the cutout (behind the window crank).

I searched far and wide for a part number or illustration and found...nuthin'.

Is this one of those phantom non- existent  Datsun parts?

IMG_0931.JPG

IMG_0932.JPG

Edited by dhp123166
  • Like 1