IGNORED

Transmission rebuild help

Odinspeenbone

get a hand held impact driver (the kind you strike with a hammer) to release those torx screws. Also make sure you know which direction to turn the output shaft nut to loosen. Pretty sure its a CW to loosen, CCW to tighten (reverse of normal).

this guy has some good videos

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Odinspeenbone said:

When I drained her I saw multiple teeth, a washer, a screw and shavings galore.

Not uncommon for an adapter plate (center plate) bearing to fall apart.  Do you have pictures of the parts that came out?  Those are clues about where the damage is.

Hi Odinspeenbone

Welcome to the forum. As you probably already noticed, plenty of willing members to offer advice where needed.

Looking at your photos, I would rebuild it. You mentioned in your first post, you found a tooth or a piece of one. Most probably from the reverse gear. The reverse gear can look very ragged, and still function well. Can you post a photo of the piece and maybe locate where it came from?

Points to check before going forward with rebuild.

- Look for cracks in the gears. A small chip will be ok, but cracks and signs of shattered teeth are a red flag.

- Syncho rings. Was the gearbox changing gears without grinding befoe the bearing fell apart? If not measure the rings against the specs, see manual for guidance. The external teeth look OK on the photos, but that is not what makes a good synchro ring. The small grooves on the inside are important and the wear is determined by measuring the distance between the synchro cone and the gear.

Note: Be carefull running your fingers around the inside. The small grooves can be razor sharp, especially on new rings.

If the synchros are within spec, you only need a bearing kit and seals.

- Once it's all dismantled, check the shafts are straight and within tolerance. Bent shafts can caused the transmission to jump out of gear. Didn't do it with worn bearing because the worn bearings had enough play to compensate.

- Use a good quality GL-4 transmission oil suitable for brass synchro rings. Redline MT-90 or the GM transmission oil are commonly refered too. The GM part numbers are AC DELCO USA p/n: 88900399. GM USA p/n is: 12377916.

I can post the part numbers for all the seals if you want to order then individually. Best would be to order a bearing kit and the rest of the seals, o-rings separately.

A kit like this would be what you would want for the bearings. They also sell bearing kits with synchros, but I have had poor performance from the aftermarket rings and endd up sourcing the rings from Nissan.

DTS-BK133

$129.89

http://www.drivetrain.com/parts_catalog/manual_transmission_overhaul_kits/nissan_f5w71_overhaul_kit.html

• Like 2

If you have any questions. Feel free to ask.

Most of the parts in my list were for my 71B, but will fit the 71C. Main difference is the selector control section and the front cluster shaft bearing.

The bearing kit will have all the main bearings, front gasket and rear oil seal. Optional are the synchro rings (Baulk rings).

I ordered all the parts through Nissan with the exception of the Omega rear extension bush.

You may not need these parts, but I would reccomend replacing all the seals and o-rings. Most of them are not included in the bearing revision kit.

See photos for the bearings, synchros and rear extension bush.

IMG_1072.JPG

DSC_0896.jpg

20190115_192300.png

• Like 1

• 10 months later...

I may be about to start a FS5W71B rebuild and this thread looks pretty handy.

Looking at drivetrain.com, they seem to only have -A, and -C references to their parts, nothing or little about the B trans. When you look at the 280Z and 280ZX applications in the various sections, the 280zx appears in the A and C sections, which at least for North American cars, the 280ZX did not have the C trans.

Which exact rebuild kit did you order? It sure looks like the DTS-BK104 series. 

Searching the site for FS5W71B, they list this

https://www.drivetrain.com/parts-catalog/manual-transmission-rebuild-kits-and-parts/mrk100601-nissan-5-speed-fs5w71c-fs5w71b-overhaul-kit

but the picture shows applications from 84 onward, ie a "C" kit.

Just found Grannyknots thread, seems he ordered the BK104. It is about the only choice.

Help!

Edited by zKars