IGNORED

s30 NOS quarter panels

mastershake1998

7 hours ago, Gav240z said:

Use an easy beat to pull out the dings... it uses a tiny weld at the tip and then you use a slide hammer to pull it out. Useful for tricky areas like this with limited access.

This sounds like the stud welder I use. I did exactly that but the corners are so thin that the stud welder burns holes in them and if you get a stud welded on, the corner tears out because the metal gets thicker further from the corner. It can be a challenging area to get right. The best tool would be to make some long thin dollies to use from inside the quarter panel

On 11/19/2018 at 1:37 AM, Patcon said:

This sounds like the stud welder I use. I did exactly that but the corners are so thin that the stud welder burns holes in them and if you get a stud welded on, the corner tears out because the metal gets thicker further from the corner. It can be a challenging area to get right. The best tool would be to make some long thin dollies to use from inside the quarter panel

Yes it's kind of like a stud welder, but I'd say far milder.

https://www.easybeat.com.au/easybeat-model-3000-car-truck-body-dent-pulling-ma

I haven't tried it on the rear 1/4 panels, perhaps they are very thin like you say due to the amount of stretch they would go through via the pressing process?

I did have issues using it on the rear hatch once, but that was because I had thinned the metal out a bit already (via angle grinder with flap disc) and we were using a body file to knock down high spots etc.. it did blow a tiny hole. That's when I stopped and decided a small amount of filler may be more appropriate. (gotta learn what not to do sometimes).

I agree long thin dollies and perhaps a "slapper" would be another option (if you are not working on the panel off the car).

Edited by Gav240z
  • Like 1

On 11/17/2018 at 10:27 AM, Patcon said:

Not only is it a tough place to hammer back but the metal is incredibly thin at these corners because of the stamping process

Some how I ended up with a set of the rear quarter ends that were cut off #777 I believe . The owner was selling all his extras and why someone would have cut off good corners I’ll never know, but I’ve kept them just because it would be hard to fix that area. Though my 3 Z’s are all good in that area

5 minutes ago, madkaw said:

Some how I ended up with a set of the rear quarter ends that were cut off #777 I believe . The owner was selling all his extras and why someone would have cut off good corners I’ll never know, but I’ve kept them just because it would be hard to fix that area. Though my 3 Z’s are all good in that area

That's a shame.

You have to wonder how many sub 1500 cars got parted or scrapped, because "they were too far gone". Today's too far gone is very different than just a few years ago and the standard will continue down.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 year later...