IGNORED

Been drooling over an s30 for a long time, finally got one!

KiileZ

On ‎9‎/‎5‎/‎2018 at 9:42 AM, KiileZ said:

I might go the powder coating route. I know I want to do black bumpers, but I am still on the fence about the trim. If I go with a polished lip on the rewinds then I might keep the polished trim, but if I go with the black rewinds I think I am going to try to black out the trim. Luckily my buddy has a nice powder coating setup and as long as I do all the prep work he will powder them for the cost of the powder. I didn't realize the trim was all stainless. Thanks!

Come on Friday! :)

Yeah, that thing really makes me want to go with the black RKRs over the polished rewinds because I obviously can't afford a set of real watanabes lol. I am not a huge fan of fender flares. @siteunseen You're running 15s right? I was thinking of going a step up to 16s. Any idea on what the biggest sized tires you can run before rubbing? I think I saw 205/55s. Not sure if you have to roll the fender lip or not. 

From MSA.  Just saw they have a free shipping deal and $100 off those satin Rewinds too.

http://www.thezstore.com/page/TZS/PROD/classic05a02/25-1211

Tire Sizing:
The maximum tire size you will be able to fit on your Z will vary significantly depending on many factors, including things like the current ride height (or amount of spring sagging) and condition and type of springs and shocks, body kit components, coil over suspensions, fender flaring, and other factors. Most stock 70-78 setups should use the most common size, a 205/55/16 for proper clearance, while an early Z with certain types of Coil Over Suspensions and Fender Flares could go to the tire manufacturer maximum size of 245/50R16. 79-85 ZX's generally have more clearance, so a larger size will often be just fine (for instance, the Motorsport 280ZX runs 225/50/16 tires). Your Z or ZX may fall somewhere between those.
If your goal is to use a larger size than 205/55/16 on a 70-78, we recommend you bring your car to a qualified tire technician to check clearance on your particular setup (all good shops know how to do this). As always you can give our sales technicians a call at (800)633-6331 with your questions.

Edited by siteunseen

2 hours ago, siteunseen said:

here's one of my favorite orange and black 240s.  Hard to tell if the trim is black though???

datsun-nissan-240Z-triple-stripe-side-de

Not black, it's normal stainless trim, the way the photo is edited just makes it look different. Here's link that has a few more photos of the car: http://legacy.classiczcars.com/forums/dto_garage.php?do=viewvehicle&v=1428

Regarding black trim, especially with an orange paint job, I would say no way. Black trim, bumpers and wheels with orange paint will just make it look like you really, really like Halloween. If you don't want chrome/strainless trim, I would suggest a gunmetal or dark gray color instead. I think I would leave the window trim alone though, I don't think these cars look right with it blacked out or painted. IMO painting the bumpers and wheels dark gray would have enough of an effect reducing the amount of polished stuff on the car, and would look good. Bumpers and wheels are a lot easier to change as well.

Edited by rturbo 930

• 1 month later...

I have been working pretty hard on getting the car where I have wanted it. Saturday I snapped a few pics of what I consider close to how I want it. It still needs to be lowered and I hadn't gotten the chance to put the badges back on, but the pics still turned out pretty good.

1 - RVchk4f.jpg

2 - Nb92f4A.jpg

3 - s5bCvUP.jpg

4 - b28WNNs.jpg

5 - 2sRWrW4.jpg

6 - aHu1IoY.jpg

7 - JjOfovI.jpg

• Like 4

32 minutes ago, jonathanrussell said:

Your car looks fantastic. Drive it and enjoy it. Which wheels, tires, and sizes did you settle on?

Thanks! I ended up with a set of Rota RKR 15x8 et0. Probably should have gone with 16s since I could hardly find anything that wasn't a track tire in 225/50. Ended up with some Nitto NT450s in 205/55. They are the same height as the 225/50, but just a bit narrower. The Nittos seem to be decent, but this will be my first set so we will see how they do.

Edited by KiileZ