IGNORED

Been drooling over an s30 for a long time, finally got one!

KiileZ

I own a 1986 300zx that I bought 9 years ago and ever since I bought it, I have wanted a 240z. Well just this weekend I was finally able to acquire something that's definitely far from perfect, but something that I can drive and work on and make into something my own! I have attached a link to the imgur gallery below. I am super happy with the car. It's a 1972 240z. It definitely needs some work, but I can't find any rust that's bad. A little bit of surface rust and that's about it. Which is amazing since this is a midwest car lol. The car has been painted at some point in it's life and it shows how old it is. A lot of little scratches in the paint and such. It used to be orange, which one day I hope to bring back. I have a bumper for a 73, but since it mounts different I might have to find something else to go with. I got an old exhaust with the car that is basically a straight pipe with some resonators on the back I may try to install. The guy took it off because it was too loud and would wake up his kids. It has a header on it, but I can't tell what brand. Also got a set of Chastain Shadow Louvers, but no hardware, so that's no good. Overall, I am really happy with and I just want to bring it back to stock and just drive it! Let me know what you think!

https://imgur.com/a/XrDIuR7

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, JSM said:

Welcome to the fun!  Looks like a great start.  You going to pain it back original color?  Hard with blue and orange.  Unless your a Gators fan!

I want to paint it back to the orange eventually. I would much prefer blue, but I feel like it would be better off orange. That is something much further down the road. Right now I am just wanting to get everything on it back to the best shape it can be and then the paint will come.

Smart.  At least enjoy it for a couple years.  Paint Jail can last a long time and then your run into the, "as long as I'm here, I might as well do ...."  Mine is in primer but staying that way until I get my 300z back up and running. Doesn't help having 3 projects going at once!

2 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Nice!  

I bought my thin bumpers from futofab.com, no holes or rubber just nice straight shiny chrome.  He has a Black Friday sale that's a pretty good deal if you can wait.

I was actually thinking of moving away from the chrome on this. I was thinking of getting a front and rear MSA fiberglass bumpers. I am just a bit worried about their quality and what sort of finish they have on them. Your car is amazing! It has pretty much everything I plan to do to mine. Chin spoiler, fiberglass spoiler, 8 spokes with a chrome lip. Looks great! I hope mine looks half that good.

• Like 1

Thanks for the compliments. ?

He sales black powder coated bumpers also.  I have read the fiberglass black bumpers are far from perfect but that was a few years ago when i wanted some.  i actually ordered the black powder coated ones from futofab but they were on backorder for awhile.  he cut me a deal on the chrome and i'm so pleased with them now I'm glad they weren't available.  The shiny finish around my windows plus the wheels I bought brought it all together like a nice suit.

Go down to about half page to see the black bumpers.

http://www.futofab.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=131&Itemid=118#front_black

Those would be just what I want, but it looks like they are still on back order, lol. I am the same as you and have the polished trim, so I was going to mask it off and spray that black as well. Also debating on whether to go with the polished lip on the konigs or the satin black. Sizing is a big question too lol. So many choices and plenty of time to figure it out.

• Like 1

Painting trim is no different then painting any other part on the car. Properly prepped it should last. I went with powder coating on all metal pieces - and I mean all. I even powder coated the windshield trim. No issues with it holding up and black would be easy to touch up. 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, madkaw said:

Painting trim is no different then painting any other part on the car. Properly prepped it should last. I went with powder coating on all metal pieces - and I mean all. I even powder coated the windshield trim. No issues with it holding up and black would be easy to touch up. 

I might go the powder coating route. I know I want to do black bumpers, but I am still on the fence about the trim. If I go with a polished lip on the rewinds then I might keep the polished trim, but if I go with the black rewinds I think I am going to try to black out the trim. Luckily my buddy has a nice powder coating setup and as long as I do all the prep work he will powder them for the cost of the powder. I didn't realize the trim was all stainless. Thanks!