IGNORED

1970 HLS30-06521 Re-Restoration

CanTechZ

19 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I've seen those on a bunch or motor pics left on. Just like the rear hooks on 240s back bumper for shipping I removed mine. Stiil have them! But they're useless on our cars after the fact. Those levlers have some tricks to make them work smoother and bot so damn jumpy. If you can't find it in that thread let me know and I can share my experiences that makes it a little easier. @Jeff G 78hopefully will jump in too.

Cliff

Thanks, I will look for that info. In my case the job will we quite, easy as I have already removed the transmission.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Successful event yesterday pulling the engine, without removing the hood. It only took about 15 minutes to lift it out and mount on my engine stand. Thanks to my friend, Dave. I did spend a good part of the day before doing the rigging and taking measurements to make sure I wouldn't need to remove the hood. Getting very close to sending the shell to my body guy Jody.

20210708_132750.jpg

20210708_132833.jpg

20210708_133245_HDR.jpg

20210708_154838.jpg

20210708_154944.jpg

20210708_155024.jpg

20210709_092611.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

Successful event yesterday pulling the engine, without removing the hood. It only took about 15 minutes to lift it out and mount on my engine stand. Thanks to my friend, Dave. I did spend a good part of the day before doing the rigging and taking measurements to make sure I wouldn't need to remove the hood. Getting very close to sending the shell to my body guy Jody.

That's impressive work.  Nice attention to planning and details.  Not a great deal of ceiling clearance in your garage workspace, either.

I don't think I've ever heard anyone talk about pulling a Z engine without removing to hood.  I don't think I've seen anyone bring the hoist in from the side, either. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

29 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

What do you guys use to protect the tops of the fenders? Mine are soft as a beer can so I have some painters cotton drop cloths I use but I need some magnetic fender covers I guess. Or quit putting my elbows there.

I would like to know as well. It would be good reference for when I re-assemble. The other thing to remember is, don't lean on the fenders. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, siteunseen said:

I've seen a small suction type dent puller on FB marketplace I'm thinking about buying. I have a dent in my refrigerator door too I think it would work on. I'll let you know if I buy it.

Thanks Site, you never know when it might come in handy.

11 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

I would like to know as well. It would be good reference for when I re-assemble. The other thing to remember is, don't lean on the fenders. 

Leaning on the fender is a no go.. i was thinking of making a C-shape steel construction that go's over the fender (standing on the ground behind the front wheel.)  with some lining (inside the C shape)  to not scratch the fenders..   

when working on a z or zx i do not use a fender cloth, when it's covered you tend to lean on it.. and throw lots of tools on them, i use a toolcart for that.

• Agree 2

Going back to the engine removal for a moment, I noticed two things you did that I'd like the hear more about:

• At the front hoist point, you bypassed the lift bracket installed on the hoist chain and used, instead, a clevis and a bolt.  Was the clevis a part of the hoist kit, or did you source it separately?
  • At the rear hoist point, you appear to have removed the header stud and used a bolt instead. Please explain.

1 hour ago, Namerow said:

Going back to the engine removal for a moment, I noticed two things you did that I'd like the hear more about:

• At the front hoist point, you bypassed the lift bracket installed on the hoist chain and used, instead, a clevis and a bolt.  Was the clevis a part of the hoist kit, or did you source it separately?
  • At the rear hoist point, you appear to have removed the header stud and used a bolt instead. Please explain.

The clevis was purchased separately, as I used a factory lifting bracket the clevis worked better than the L bracket on the leveler. Funny thing, I checked first I checked Canadian Tire and they only had Chinese non rated clevis's, the one I selected is from a local industrial supply store, it is a 3/8" VGD "gold pin" anchor shackle with a 1 ton WLL and it was cheaper than the CDN Tire import.

20210707_135939.jpg

At the rear I actually used the rear intake mounting hole that uses an M8 capscrew. I used a shorter screw plus, a 14mm OD x 8.5mm ID sleeve in the hole of the lifting bracket on the leveler.

20210707_135842.jpg

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 2