IGNORED

1970 HLS30-06521 Re-Restoration

CanTechZ

My goal for this restoration is to keep the car as original as possible and bring the condition up to a number two level.  When complete I will continue to use the car as I always have, weekend drives, going on club events and the occasional show. I don't want it to be a trailer queen.  I get plenty of pleasure from ownership but these cars are meant to be driven. My plan is for the whole process to take about two years.

The main focus will be on body and paint, neither of which I will do myself. I am currently looking for a restoration shop to work with. I will not be doing a 100% complete disassembly to the last nut and bolt but rather disassemble into sub-assemblies that can be refinished and if issues are found deal them on a case by case basis. I am also looking for companies to do re-chroming and plating.  At a minimum I plan to do the following to accomplish this:

- Remove interior and dash and glass.

- Remove engine and driveline.

- Remove front and rear axles, suspension and steering etc.

- Disassemble body as required.

Step one will be removing most of the interior so that I can show the complete car to a few restoration shops before the major disassembly is started. The shops I have been talking with so far have a waiting list of about six months so I will have all winter to do the disassembly.

Right now I am working on removing most of the interior, so that the resto shops I am talking to can fully access the car to give me reasonable estimates before I get into the major disassembly.

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks @CHL240Z, I definitely have some rust repair to deal with.  Over the winter I will post pics of the good, the bad and the ugly as I progress.

My first order of business is to sell my last project, a 1988 Suzuki Samurai. This will give me more space in the garage and help a little with the budget.  I might put it up on BAT.

Before,

2005-12_DSCN3181.JPG

During,

2006-04-1_PDR_2763.JPG

2006-4-2_DSCN3350.JPG

And after,

2006-9_DSCN3740.JPG

2007-4_100_0032.JPG

2017-6-2_20170625_145020.jpg

• Like 2

• 8 months later...

After a bit of a delay it's time to get my project back on track.  I have been in discussions with a very talented and respected auto restorer near me, and he is willing to take on my project.  If all goes right my car will be on his rotisserie in the fall.

Lots to follow soon.

Cheers, Mike

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 3

@240260280, yes I remember seeing them. I did a search and the link was broken. Here is a link on the510Realm where they are. I think they were first posted on Ratsun.

http://www.the510realm.com/viewtopic.php?t=13223

Here are some ads from Chilliwack Datsun that I posted a few years back. On 510 day LOL

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 1

• 4 months later...

Good news to report, my Samurai sold so I now have the room to start disassembling my car, and no more excuses not to start, LOL.

The first order of business was to document the existing condition. In a addition to taking countless pictures I shot several videos of the exterior, engine bay, interior and chassis. Hopefully these will be a help when it comes time to put my car back together. It's amazing to me that no matter how many pictures I take to document things, I still manage to miss things.

For those you are interested, I am posting the videos here.  Just a warning, I will not be responsible for the time lost if you watch them. They are quite long.

Exterior condition;

Engine bay condition:

Interior condition (1 of 2):

Interior condition (2 of 2):

Chassis condition (1 of 2):

Chassis condition (2 of 2): Oops  this is 1 of 2, don't seem to be able to delete a video link

here is 2 of 2

Edited by CanTechZ
  • Like 3

Very nice videos, it will help lots when you put it back together. I was surprised to see a emissions sticker on the hood as your car has none of the emissions stuff. My car did not have one and as they are so close in Vin's I did not expect to see one on yours. As well, I see you have a header, did you keep the original exhaust manifold when you did the sap?

5 minutes ago, 240dkw said:

Very nice videos, it will help lots when you put it back together. I was surprised to see a emissions sticker on the hood as your car has none of the emissions stuff. My car did not have one and as they are so close in Vin's I did not expect to see one on yours. As well, I see you have a header, did you keep the original exhaust manifold when you did the sap?

Thanks Dan,  I can't explain why my car has the emissions decal, just one of those strange mysteries I guess.  I put the header on back in the early 80's and sadly I didn't save the exhaust manifold. At the time it didn't seem important.  The early ones without the air tubes are next to impossible to find now.