IGNORED

1970 HLS30-06521 Re-Restoration

CanTechZ

15 hours ago, CanTechZ said:

Dimensions:

1970 PLUG WIRE DIMS.jpg

That drawing takes me back to my school days doing technical drawing by hand with a pencil. It's all computer generated now!

The wire number seems to be set 15mm apart, is that correct?

Roo

20 hours ago, SpeedRoo said:

That drawing takes me back to my school days doing technical drawing by hand with a pencil. It's all computer generated now!

The wire number seems to be set 15mm apart, is that correct?

Roo

Thanks Roo, I'm old school, so most of my cad work starts with a hand sketch. I sill have a drafting table in my home office.

Using wire number three as an example the wire numbers are 5mm tall and 56mm center to center. Except where the YAZAKI 1970 markings are, for those the numbers are 73mm c/c. Number 3 appears 11 times, like this:

73-56-56-56-56-73-56-56-56-56

• Like 1

On 5/10/2021 at 6:41 AM, Patcon said:

It would be nice to pull the relevant wire data out of this thread and post it as a tech article in the resources section

Good idea. I will get a few more dimensions and do that soon. 

Edit, link added

Edited by CanTechZ
Added link
  • Like 1

Perfect Mike, all the data helps being able to replicate the markings on 7mm plug wires. Making up my own screen print to do so. Found some new old stock distributor caps with the brass inserts to use with replicated wires.

Roo

• Like 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 5/10/2021 at 7:48 AM, SpeedRoo said:

Perfect Mike, all the data helps being able to replicate the markings on 7mm plug wires. Making up my own screen print to do so. Found some new old stock distributor caps with the brass inserts to use with replicated wires.

Roo

I just revised the sketch of the leads in my previous post (#80) with more accurate lengths, the method I used with a fabric tape was not the way to go. I got much better, and repeatable numbers, holding the leads in a channel to carefully keep them straight. Anyone recognize the re-purposed holding device.

20210515_102046.jpg

I used this method so that I could get accurate measurements of the markings. This will all be in a new topic after I have time to finish with the measuring and cad work. Here is a preview of the number 3 lead. I will also be creating a 2D drawing with dimensions of the markings.

Yazaki Lead 1970 Number 3 - Image 01.JPG

Yazaki Lead 1970 Number 3 - Image 02.JPG

Yazaki Lead 1970 Number 3 - Image 03.JPG

• Like 1

9 hours ago, SpeedRoo said:

Wow...fantastic work Mike. Going to make it so easy to duplicate with all that information. What markings are on the coil wire?

Roo

Thanks Roo. Unfortunately the coil wire has almost no markings left. I will have to get out the magnifying glass in some very good light, but I don't hold out much hope on that one.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Getting close to pulling the engine, so I picked up a two ton shop crane and engine leveler that was on sale. The leveler has "L" brackets on the end of the chains so I started to see what was required to attach these to the engine. @Racer Xposted pictures of the OEM lifting brackets so that was my starting point. Here is what the OEM's look like:

After reviewing this I thought it made sense, on the front mount, to attach the leveler "L" bracket at the OEM location, and to use both of the two M8 holes that the OEM bracket used. So I took some measurements and made a sketch to fab a small angle to pickup the second bolt. Right after I finished the sketch I had a light bulb moment, thinking "Hey, I have an old spare engine in my shed". It's from a December 1970 parts car I picked and stripped over 30 years ago. To my amazement, it still had an original early single bolt front lifting bracket. It had no rear bracket, but it won't be to difficult to use one of the "L" brackets back there.

20210612_093716.jpg

Here is that sketch I made for those who might be interested, with the OEM bracket after I cleaned it up a bit.

20210612_110559-cr.jpg

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

Here's Jeff g helping me with mine. It jumps around but maybe read over some of the post and you may get that light bulb in your head. Good luck with it!

Thanks Site, great reference and will help.

Cheers, Mike

• Like 1

I've seen those on a bunch or motor pics left on. Just like the rear hooks on 240s back bumper for shipping I removed mine. Stiil have them! But they're useless on our cars after the fact. Those levlers have some tricks to make them work smoother and bot so damn jumpy. If you can't find it in that thread let me know and I can share my experiences that makes it a little easier. @Jeff G 78hopefully will jump in too.

Cliff

Edited by siteunseen