IGNORED

Body line

kunzma

So my 1971 240Z is in the paint shop.  My body man asked about the body line that runs just above the wheel arches.  Question relates to this line seeming to disappear or fade out at the arches.  How prominent is this body line at the arches on the cars that still have original paint?

Edited by kunzma

I have two cars.  One has a manufacture date of 6/70 and the other 5/71. Both cars have their factory rear quarters.  The lines do not end on either car but the lines on the 6/70 are much more pronounced than 5/71.  Its almost as if the tooling needed to be sharpened by the time May '71 came around. 

I would certainly call it "less prominent" on the '71.

Interesting subject.  This is one of the major features I use to judge the quality of a shops body work.  On the low budget shops, the edge is rounded and sometimes not even very straight.  The bad shops will mess this up even when there hasn't been any bodywork done in the area.

On a side note, I saw a silver Z that was done on one of the popular car TV shows (not sure which one) and the body work and interior were incredible.  On the body, they actually sharpened the line, along with the line just above it over the rear wheel. It looked gorgeous.  I talked with Miguel about sharpening the line a bit on my white one.  Will see how that goes when we get to that point.  We are probably two to three months out on that.