IGNORED

California 1978 Datsun 280z Restomod

Kevin McSweeney

4 hours ago, rcb280z said:

Just make sure your tach and speedo are up to par maintenance wise. Bulbs, etc. are good. Because once you install that dash cap you will NOT be able to remove the tach and speedo. I have tried several times to remove mine with no luck! 

And the cap won't fit without some finagling. Mine required heat to make it fit "better", not perfect by any means. To this day I wished I had just covered all the cracks with a dash mat instead of a cap. Was lazy and had an upholstery shop, that a friend recommended, do it and they put freakin' silicone all over the dash which is incorrect. But I didn't find this out until I made an attempt to remove it at a later date! 

Biggest mistake I've made with this Z besides the cowl induction hood, which is going away soon.

I have exactly the same regrets. I didn't install the dash cap. That was done by the owner before me. They used plenty of silicone to fit it too.

I have a lovely new km/hr face (thankyou @moelk) I would to fit, but after two frustrating attempts to remove the speedo I too can confirm the speedo will not come out without removing the dash cap first.

The other alternative was to restore the dash. I know others here have posted impressive photos of there step by step progress, but I'm concern about removing the cap. How much more damage that will do, can I remove all the silicone and do I have the skills and patience to complete it.

I am now waiting on the fence to see how the sashes from Vintage Dashes go. Last news was they just received a delivery, but it's already sold to customers. Next delivery will be in September. Fingers crossed.

5 hours ago, EuroDat said:

I have a lovely new km/hr face (thankyou @moelk) I would to fit, but after two frustrating attempts to remove the speedo I too can confirm the speedo will not come out without removing the dash cap first.

I am now waiting on the fence to see how the sashes from Vintage Dashes go. Last news was they just received a delivery, but it's already sold to customers. Next delivery will be in September. Fingers crossed.

Here’s a new dash from Vintage Dashes with a km/h face swap. 

D9E587FA-095E-4636-8AF1-1C9A17483C3A.jpeg0D9A5460-0805-4C82-8A71-256F2DE9009A.jpeg8B0F81FA-561D-40EE-A78E-757D430A76F3.jpeg

There may be a small stock of the dashes (If it was a 240z you had) here in Europe if you are interested @EuroDat

//Andreas

Edited by moelk
  • Like 3

7 hours ago, Kevin McSweeney said:

So that is actually a full new dash - as opposed to a dash cap - courtesy of Vintage Dashes in Albany. 

Was that one of the dash covers from the previous shipment they got that was not quite up to their selling standards and sold to you at a discounted price?  If so, is it the fitment of the small gauges that was the issue?

3 hours ago, S30Driver said:

Was that one of the dash covers from the previous shipment they got that was not quite up to their selling standards and sold to you at a discounted price?  If so, is it the fitment of the small gauges that was the issue?

Yes and no. It is from their next shipment, but has a few cosmetic flaws (will post some more pictures later when I get to it). I happened to be in the area yesterday so went and picked it up. The flaws are very minor and would need to be pointed out (to me at least) to be noticed.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, dmorales-bello said:

I'm a bit confused. Isn't this car a 280Z? That dash is a 240Z dash, isn't it? The Vintage Dash units we're waiting for (and are supposed to ship very soon, finally) are the 280Z ones.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Yes.

Mine is a 280Z. Next delivery should be in September if all the rumors are correct.