IGNORED

We're bringin' back the Flat Tops!

motorman7

Carl is right on regarding if you make through round 1 to round 2 at ZCON you have a very good Z. Judging for a Gold Medallion is always very critical regarding the correct parts, fit and finish. Congratulations for your awards.

Bob

• Like 1

On 7/21/2019 at 9:25 AM, 240260280 said:

Well for Nashville,we expect you both to sport real flat tops if you are true to form and "the cause":

image.png

Love it!  If Supercuts cannot do this for me, I can fall back on this:

https://www.amazon.com/MyPartyShirt-MPS-13817-S-MC-Poser-Wig/dp/B018GM6HP0/ref=sr_1_2?keywords=vanilla+ice+wig&qid=1564099622&s=gateway&sr=8-2

image.png

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, bartsscooterservice said:

Nice pictures ! I noticed the front bumper is a little extended, and has a plastic spacer between it, als the rear seems to have some plastic between it. Was this normal to the 73 ?

The front bumper in 73 was extended slightly to add minimal support making it about a 2.5 MPH crash guard to meet US safety standards. As far as I know the rear bumper was the same as all prior years of the 240Z. Not sure about the little rubber pads on the rear bumper ends, I don't remember those on my 73.

On 7/25/2019 at 11:43 AM, 240260280 said:

Thanks.  Any guesses as to why the judges seemed tougher this year?

I think the judging was probably pretty fair for the car.  Honestly, we just ran out of time to fix all the small details, and those get noticed.  We were actually taping and repainting the finish on the hubcaps in the trailer the day before the show, among other items.  I know there were a few small clamps missing, some wrong screw/bolt heads, the ends of the bumper finishers (unique to the '73) had some cracks and could have been finished better, I need to find some of the pre-formed hoses for the engine bay as the bends in my substitute straight hose showed some kinks, I installed the long plastic edge finisher just behind the seat backwards, the Kioto headlights were the wrong style, etc. Nothing real major, but just not right.  Now that the show has passed, we have some time to fix these items....and a chance to eventually see the judging sheets.

The only thing that bothered me was that the judges were critical of the cloth wrap 'style' fuel hoses.  Apparently they prefer to see a Nissan stamped fuel hose, over a hose that looks very close to the factory original.  This was actually a point of discussion among a group of us, including judges that said the original cars never had cloth wrap style hoses.  Fortunately, Jim Fredricks showed up to set the record straight and confirm the cloth wrap style.  It was great talking with Jim at the show, he schooled me on some of my fastener zinc color errors.  Overall, I am very happy with the outcome and really enjoyed the show.  I am looking forward to going to Nashville next year and seeing the cars from the east coast. 

• Like 2

Hi all---

Sorry not to have replied sooner---I was immediately back at work and had to travel to several states for several days after the show.

Missed so many of you, good friends!!

I can't begin to tell what an honor it was to compete with Rich's immaculate fresh restoration of Bob's (Jayhawk's) Z. Rich is a master and a gentleman. His meticulous attention is preserved as archival documentation in this thread for all to see and emulate.

As I conveyed in a PM to Rich, I had always wondered how a "rolling" restoration would fare with a fresh restoration done very well. I feel those hopeful thoughts are somewhat vindicated and I am  relieved now that it is possible.

I have always thought (and think Rich would agree) that the stock restoration of a 73 240Z was one of the most difficult challenges of all due to the many unique differences found in that particular model year. (bumper rubber trims, flat-top carbs, emissions, hoses and water plumbing, thermostat housings, electrical relays and switches, cigarette lighter, etc., etc.)

The chance to compare, apples to apples, 2-73 240Z cars at a Zcon was huge for me. Rich and I shared several corrections that we each made to our cars before the judging. It just doesn't get any better than that in friendly competition!

As Rich said, had he more time and a few parts the outcome could have well been reversed. We both made bonehead mistakes which we have learned from and will try not to repeat.

This Zcon was so special in so many ways.

Big Congratulations to my dear friend Jim Smirlies (S30driver) for his 1st place in daily driver. Fiona (his 77 280Z) never looked so beautiful since I have known him (and her). 

I wish and wish that those of you that we not able to attend the Branson event will attend and be seen at Nashville!

It is just 1year and 2 months away----Let's GET READY!!!

Zup

• Like 4

Ive been reading this thread for several days and am amazed by all the knowledge! I'm restoring a 73 with flat tops (which BTW I didn't even know the right term for until about 3 weeks ago) and have had a difficult time finding rebuild kits. I found some from thezstore.com but they seem to have one of the key components missing. Don't I need the metal disc in the center of that diaphram? Is there some other source or solution?

Thanks in advance for the help!

IMG_20190727_115753.jpg

Yes you need that little metal disk. In fact, there are disks on both sides of the diaphragm. You are supposed to just pry the disks off your old diaphragms and move them over to the new ones.

Are you saying that you don't have them at all? Or are you saying that your disks are glued onto your old diaphragms so tightly that you didn't know they came off?

54 minutes ago, Captain Obvious said:

Yes you need that little metal disk. In fact, there are disks on both sides of the diaphragm. You are supposed to just pry the disks off your old diaphragms and move them over to the new ones.

Are you saying that you don't have them at all? Or are you saying that your disks are glued onto your old diaphragms so tightly that you didn't know they came off?

That's great info! I have the one on the left and I pried on it a little but couldn't determine if it came apart. I will pry a little harder. ?

Thanks!

Yeah, it's just glued on from the heat and the petrified old gasoline. Razor knife works well since you don't have to worry about ruining the old diaphragm. Don't bend the disks.

If you can't seem to get them apart and are worried about bending a disk, you can drop the whole thing into a sealed cup of carb cleaner. For a week.   LOL