IGNORED

Outer Sill (Rocker) Replacement

Jughead

Hi All:  – I need to replace the outer rocker panels (aka "sills") and lower doglegs on both sides of my ’72 240Z.  I will purchase repair panels from The Z Store, Tabco or another supplier (recommendations on suppliers appreciated, btw.).   For now, I’m trying to get an understanding of how everything fits together, so I'll have a good understanding before I start cutting. 

Question: (See the photo below as a reference.) Will the outer rocker repair panels replace the section indicated by the “B” arrow?   Is the piece marked “A” the inner rocker?  Is the green piece above “A” the inner rocker or the floor section?  Am I making sense? 

BTW:  What doesn’t the floor on the left show the “A” piece?

Thanks much as always for your help!  Jughead

SIlls - Cross Cut View with arrows.jpg

Edited by Jughead
Clarification

2 hours ago, Jughead said:

Will the outer rocker repair panels replace the section indicated by the “B” arrow?

I don't know about the other companies but the Tabco rocker will replace B

Is the piece marked “A” the inner rocker? 

I'm pretty sure A is part of the dog leg structure which is why it doesn't show in the floor section to the left, but turn it around and it will be there.   disepyon's thread will show you everything.

Is the green piece above “A” the inner rocker or the floor section? 

It is part of the inner rocker and disepyon is I think the only guy making those pieces.

1 hour ago, grannyknot said:

It is part of the inner rocker and disepyon is I think the only guy making those pieces. 

I have hit him up a couple of times now and he hasn't responded. I hope he's still around. That would be a real loss

The section in that pic was cut just behind the seam where the dogleg meets the rocker. B is actually the dogleg, not the rocker, the piece between A and B is the inner rear section of the rocker, and A, I'm not sure about, but I suspect that is the bottom section of the inner portion of the quarter panel/dog leg.

If you are unsure of what you need, I would recommend posting some pictures of what you need to fix on your car, and then we can direct you from there.

Also be aware that Tabco products are not all that great, and you may need to repair the repair panel before you weld it in. I know of at least one issue with the rocker panel where the die basically stretches the metal too thin, and splits it. And you'd probably never notice unless it was pointed out to you. 

Hi all, Diseypon is around. In my conversation with him building seat brackets and inner rocker panels were not his primary business. Be patient for a reply. I can attest to the level of attention and quality of his work. I have a complete seat bracket set as well as his inner rocker panels. All high quality items and worth the wait to establish a contact and he is a great guy to chat with.

• Like 1

true that Diseypon is a real craftsman. I bought one of the last two sets he made. He's taking a break from fabricating for sale and concentrating on his car.

Edited by SurferD

Does anyone have any recommendations of which vendor(s) to use for repair panels?  Tabco, etc?  I know I need the outer rockers and dog legs on both sides.  Anyone have any recommendations or experiences (good or bad?)

I did review the entire Disepyon thread and got a lot out of it.  Very impressive and helpful.  I reached out to Disepyon, but I'm not sure if he's still active.  I'll inform the thread if he is.

Thanks to all who've already replied - much appreciated!

PS - the photos are not my car (thanks god!).  

Pretty sure Tabco is the only manufacturer of repair panels and you can buy straight from them, other vendors just re sell. Although sometimes Tabco is out of certain panels and it can take weeks or months before they get around to stamping more. The other vendors may have panels in stock.