IGNORED

Restoration of "One-eighty-seven"

drpchuynh

And more excellent work from Rod!

Thanks again for the fuel line recommendation Rich! Per Rod, "That's good info on the fuel lines. That's why I haven't put any on yet. I couldn't find any fuel lines that would fit the clamps. So I'm ordering that tonight. Right now I'm cleaning out your engine bay while the engine is out. I'm going to change the steering rack bushings the steering coupler and the strut rod bushings. One of your strut rod bushings is missing." He informed me that the fuel lines arrived and will have it all assembled by this weekend.7942.thumb.jpeg.a36da62529295619b0966e3fdab241e5.jpeg7943.thumb.jpeg.f060f9c6d977c7a5418b32de40aaea68.jpeg7944.thumb.jpeg.7a0018d2bc4ea1ddc2bfea8039d5c2c1.jpeg

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 1

Looks beautiful, very nice job!   Just a few quick comments.  My  early '70 did not come with decals on the air filter so I am thinking that you would not need those.  I am not sure when the decals started showing up, but I would guess yours did not come with those originally.  Also, the timing chain cover looks unique.  Mine has ridges in it.  Maybe the early ones were flat like in your picture.

• Like 1

Thanks Rich! Hopefully you can sort out the rest and match the dilapidated chassis to this engine. Yes it's my understanding that the decals came later. JDM-CAR-PARTS list the dates for the decals as 71-72. I don't have them on any of my Series 1. As for the timing chain covers, it looks like the #1610 is similar to the #187. The later ones have the ridges. Hope that helps. IMG_20180729_191523.jpg

Engine back in!

Rod said the brake master cylinder was "making my engine look ugly." So he built a period-correct one using a Tokico.

I noticed the reservoirs were backwards so I asked him about it, and he explained, "That master cylinder that was on the car was for a 280z. So the brake lines were hooked up wrong, the front to the rear the rear to the front. Not great for breaking."

Looking forward to firing her up! PhotoGrid_1532983977786.thumb.jpg.cdff77ec3036d935b2f829dc6d24a50e.jpg20180730_134818.jpg.61843cf0c6d6cf39581f5b32b98a53db.jpg8150.jpeg.500abac14b878facee3b434bdaca53a7.jpeg8151.jpeg.b3646d8aadac8a35f9aa2319508b9554.jpeg

• Like 1

Thanks Hardway! I'll relay your message to him. I'm always amaze at how quickly he does things, and how knowledgeable he is with the internals of each working parts. It's easy to buy new to replace broken ones, but to have the "engineering" knowledge to tear down and rebuild 40+ year old parts that are no longer available takes a special kind of expertise.  Kudos to all of you tinkers out there that can do this sort of stuff. Hopefully you can pass that knowledge on so these cars will always have a mechanic/restorer that will keep them on the road for years to come.