Jump to content

drpchuynh

Restoration of "One-eighty-seven"

Recommended Posts

Very nice!

I remember when I first bought mine I couldn't back out of my driveway from the slipping clutch.  Came on the forum and found out how to adjust the slave cylinder. :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Looks Awesome!  Gotta love that weldment on the oil pan, very unique to the early Z's.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Awesome car and looking forward to more pics as you move along.  Not trying to hi jack but wondering where you purchased the blue paint used on the block?  I purchased the can in this pic from California Datsun.  I attempted to capture my motor in the same pic but the paint is hard to see.  The color appears to be the same as yours.  My question for some of you guys, isn't this shade of blue darker than factory?  IMG_0407.JPG

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think it is all in the lighting.  The pics below are the same block, just with different light.  Also, in the third pic, you can see that the original bracket color matches the block color.   I have also sprayed Les Canaday's paint next to the California Datsun color and there is no detectable difference.  Pics of the block under sunlight are even lighter.

DSCF4570.thumb.JPG.07d1e103c9350d51319447b8d216c669.JPG

DSCF4592.thumb.JPG.f64a10108f218b0a171945bcc61057b4.JPG

DSCF4588.thumb.JPG.888cffb1c797bf8933f3e94f17d41656.JPG

Edited by motorman7

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you everyone! I'm looking forward to bring you more updates.

 

On 5/12/2018 at 9:57 AM, motorman7 said:

Looks Awesome!  Gotta love that weldment on the oil pan, very unique to the early Z's.

It's good that you mentioned that.  I thought it was bad patch job at some point in the past.  Haha

3 hours ago, Jaymanbikes said:

Awesome car and looking forward to more pics as you move along.  Not trying to hi jack but wondering where you purchased the blue paint used on the block?  I purchased the can in this pic from California Datsun.  I attempted to capture my motor in the same pic but the paint is hard to see.  The color appears to be the same as yours.  My question for some of you guys, isn't this shade of blue darker than factory? 

Motorman7 is right. The blue is much lighter in color. I believe it's because of the fluorescent lighting in the garage.  I'm no physicist, but I recall that the color that you see is the color that is emitted off the surface. Perhaps fluorescent lights emit a darker blue band. Whereas when you use a flash, you get a more complete blue spectrum that hits the surface and bounces back to you. Don't quote me on that though.  I'm just glad it looks better than 1/4" of oily grim. Haha

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 5/14/2018 at 7:17 AM, Jaymanbikes said:

Awesome car and looking forward to more pics as you move along.  Not trying to hi jack but wondering where you purchased the blue paint used on the block?  I purchased the can in this pic from California Datsun.  I attempted to capture my motor in the same pic but the paint is hard to see.  The color appears to be the same as yours.  My question for some of you guys, isn't this shade of blue darker than factory?  IMG_0407.JPG

I found a 70's Chrysler block paint from Dupli-Color matches my original color better.  For each his on, 6 of one half dozen of the other...:)

1972 OE color...DSC00957.JPG

2016 Chrysler color...

DSC01640.JPG

 

Edited by siteunseen

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Rod did a dry fit of the carbs that came back from Z Therapy. It's amazing that you can hand a rusty, heavily oxidized SU carb setup, fuel rails, heat shield, etc., and they send you back this! Bruce, if you're on this forum, I just want to commend you and your team at Z Therapy for an amazing service and outstanding transaction! This picture doesn't do it justice. It looks better in person. 

PhotoGrid_1526828081320.jpg

Edited by drpchuynh
  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

In keeping with the details, Rod wanted to salvage the air injection tubes with the exhaust manifold to get it plated. Unfortunately separating them without damage was a hurdle he couldn't overcome. So in his own words:  

"I wasn't able to get the air injection tubes out of the exhaust manifold so I just sent the whole manifold out to get plated. Then I removed the plating from the manifold. I think it came out great. Talk to you later."

Addition by subtraction! Genius! 

As it was explained to me, these air injection tubes are more problematic than they are worth. So he'll decide in the near future whether to crimp/cap them off. Prior to tearing the engine down, the car ran good with them. Either way, the engine will retain its original look, the tubes may or may not be functional. 

5936.jpeg

5937.jpeg

Edited by drpchuynh
Grammatical error
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, drpchuynh said:

"I wasn't able to get the air injection tubes out of the exhaust manifold so I just sent the whole manifold out to get plated. Then I removed the plating from the manifold. I think it came out great. Talk to you later."

Addition by subtraction! Genius! 

Yes, that was Genius!  I am very impressed.

Not that it matters, but I would recommend that you keep the entire system in tact and keep the air injectors on and the smog system operational.  I still have this on my '70 and it runs wonderfully, never any problems.  Unless you plan on racing the car, I would leave them on.   Also, I think it adds to the value of the car.

For what it's worth, I have always felt that if the owner had no problem removing the smog system from a car, what else has been modified or changed.  It's just the beginning.  When looking for a Z that I would purchase personally, I always look for the smog system.  If it's gone, I'm gone.

 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, motorman7 said:

Yes, that was Genius!  I am very impressed.

Not that it matters, but I would recommend that you keep the entire system in tact and keep the air injectors on and the smog system operational.  I still have this on my '70 and it runs wonderfully, never any problems.  Unless you plan on racing the car, I would leave them on.   Also, I think it adds to the value of the car.

For what it's worth, I have always felt that if the owner had no problem removing the smog system from a car, what else has been modified or changed.  It's just the beginning.  When looking for a Z that I would purchase personally, I always look for the smog system.  If it's gone, I'm gone.

 

Before you say gone and gone don't overlook early cars from Canada and a few other countries that were non emissions and had no smog system. You might be missing out. 

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thank you for the input everyone. I appreciate it very much. I have to make a correction to my initial claim that the car ran fine with the smog equipment in tact. Turns out the smog pump wasn't functional. So Rod stripped it down and rebuilt it with minor modifications.

Per Rod, "The green ones are left out along with the blades (green arrows) . The front and rear bearings (red arrow)  replaced and should last a lifetime.  So the pump looks stock and functioning just not pumping air." 

We've decided to go this route because I want #187 to be enjoy daily. I don't want the headaches of garaging her every few months of driving. Plus, it's an easy reversal if we want to revert back to stock. As it was explained to me, by rendering it nonfunctional, many issues relating to idling can be traced back to the carbs, "as all other vacuum leaks will be eliminated." And with Bruce having rebuilt the carbs, we don't foresee any problem in the foreseeable future. 

As a side note, I'm not too concern about resale of #187 as she will never go on the market so long as I'm alive. In fact, she might accompany me to the afterlife as I'll be buried in her. 🤣

So she started as a U.S. model and now has become Canadian 'eh'. 😜🤣

 

6399.jpeg

IMG_20180610_103536.jpg

6397.jpeg

Edited by drpchuynh
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It should also not really draw any power away from the engine without the vains.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are some updates on the restoration. Rod was able to assemble a period-correct alternator from 2 alternators, a damaged one with a good diode and an undamaged one with a bad diode. 7568.jpeg7569.jpeg

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Classic Zcar Club mobile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

He was able to source these. He believes the bluish-green ones are for the earlier builds. 7570.jpeg

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Classic Zcar Club mobile

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here are the parts back on the engine with the air box. The tubes and clamps are also specific to the 69 builds as well. 7573.jpeg7574.jpeg7575.jpeg7576.jpeg

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Classic Zcar Club mobile

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, drpchuynh said:

He was able to source these. He believes the bluish-green ones are for the earlier builds. 7570.jpeg

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Classic Zcar Club mobile
 

Wow a real Hitachi.... most are non Hitachi these days. Can he get any more? I'll buy 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, 240260280 said:
Wow a real Hitachi.... most are non Hitachi these days. Can he get any more? I'll buy 2.

He was certain it was period-correct but not entirely 100%. Judging from your response, it seems he knows his parts. I will let him know that, and I'll ask if he has more on hand that he'll be willing to part with. I'll get back to you.

Sent from my [device_name] using http://Classic Zcar Club mobile
 

Edited by drpchuynh

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.

  • Who's Online   8 Members, 0 Anonymous, 59 Guests (See full list)

  • Search Engine Meta Tags:
    classic, z, datsun, 240z, 260z, 280z, zcar, zed, s30, classiczcars.com, 240z.org, fairlady, 240, 260, 280, nissan, 240 z, 260 z, 280 z, zx, turbo, classic z, 280z cars, cars 240z, car forums, datsun, nissan, cars datsun, car club, 280zx, car, nissan zcar, classic z car,performance,300zx, car years, car raced, texas 350z, 300z, 350z, nissan racing , clubs car, zcca, club datsun
×

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.