IGNORED

Restoration of "One-eighty-seven"

drpchuynh

Awesome car and looking forward to more pics as you move along.  Not trying to hi jack but wondering where you purchased the blue paint used on the block?  I purchased the can in this pic from California Datsun.  I attempted to capture my motor in the same pic but the paint is hard to see.  The color appears to be the same as yours.  My question for some of you guys, isn't this shade of blue darker than factory?  IMG_0407.JPG

I think it is all in the lighting.  The pics below are the same block, just with different light.  Also, in the third pic, you can see that the original bracket color matches the block color.   I have also sprayed Les Canaday's paint next to the California Datsun color and there is no detectable difference.  Pics of the block under sunlight are even lighter.

DSCF4570.thumb.JPG.07d1e103c9350d51319447b8d216c669.JPG

DSCF4592.thumb.JPG.f64a10108f218b0a171945bcc61057b4.JPG

DSCF4588.thumb.JPG.888cffb1c797bf8933f3e94f17d41656.JPG

Edited by motorman7
  • Like 1

Thank you everyone! I'm looking forward to bring you more updates.

On 5/12/2018 at 9:57 AM, motorman7 said:

Looks Awesome!  Gotta love that weldment on the oil pan, very unique to the early Z's.

It's good that you mentioned that.  I thought it was bad patch job at some point in the past.  Haha

3 hours ago, Jaymanbikes said:

Awesome car and looking forward to more pics as you move along.  Not trying to hi jack but wondering where you purchased the blue paint used on the block?  I purchased the can in this pic from California Datsun.  I attempted to capture my motor in the same pic but the paint is hard to see.  The color appears to be the same as yours.  My question for some of you guys, isn't this shade of blue darker than factory? 

Motorman7 is right. The blue is much lighter in color. I believe it's because of the fluorescent lighting in the garage.  I'm no physicist, but I recall that the color that you see is the color that is emitted off the surface. Perhaps fluorescent lights emit a darker blue band. Whereas when you use a flash, you get a more complete blue spectrum that hits the surface and bounces back to you. Don't quote me on that though.  I'm just glad it looks better than 1/4" of oily grim. Haha

On 5/14/2018 at 7:17 AM, Jaymanbikes said:

Awesome car and looking forward to more pics as you move along.  Not trying to hi jack but wondering where you purchased the blue paint used on the block?  I purchased the can in this pic from California Datsun.  I attempted to capture my motor in the same pic but the paint is hard to see.  The color appears to be the same as yours.  My question for some of you guys, isn't this shade of blue darker than factory?  IMG_0407.JPG

I found a 70's Chrysler block paint from Dupli-Color matches my original color better.  For each his on, 6 of one half dozen of the other...:)

1972 OE color...DSC00957.JPG

2016 Chrysler color...

DSC01640.JPG

Edited by siteunseen

Rod did a dry fit of the carbs that came back from Z Therapy. It's amazing that you can hand a rusty, heavily oxidized SU carb setup, fuel rails, heat shield, etc., and they send you back this! Bruce, if you're on this forum, I just want to commend you and your team at Z Therapy for an amazing service and outstanding transaction! This picture doesn't do it justice. It looks better in person. 

PhotoGrid_1526828081320.jpg

Edited by drpchuynh
  • Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

In keeping with the details, Rod wanted to salvage the air injection tubes with the exhaust manifold to get it plated. Unfortunately separating them without damage was a hurdle he couldn't overcome. So in his own words:  

"I wasn't able to get the air injection tubes out of the exhaust manifold so I just sent the whole manifold out to get plated. Then I removed the plating from the manifold. I think it came out great. Talk to you later."

Addition by subtraction! Genius! 

As it was explained to me, these air injection tubes are more problematic than they are worth. So he'll decide in the near future whether to crimp/cap them off. Prior to tearing the engine down, the car ran good with them. Either way, the engine will retain its original look, the tubes may or may not be functional. 

5936.jpeg

5937.jpeg

Edited by drpchuynh
Grammatical error
  • Like 2

13 hours ago, drpchuynh said:

"I wasn't able to get the air injection tubes out of the exhaust manifold so I just sent the whole manifold out to get plated. Then I removed the plating from the manifold. I think it came out great. Talk to you later."

Addition by subtraction! Genius! 

Yes, that was Genius!  I am very impressed.

Not that it matters, but I would recommend that you keep the entire system in tact and keep the air injectors on and the smog system operational.  I still have this on my '70 and it runs wonderfully, never any problems.  Unless you plan on racing the car, I would leave them on.   Also, I think it adds to the value of the car.

For what it's worth, I have always felt that if the owner had no problem removing the smog system from a car, what else has been modified or changed.  It's just the beginning.  When looking for a Z that I would purchase personally, I always look for the smog system.  If it's gone, I'm gone.

• Like 1