IGNORED

78 280 Re-Assembly

gwri8

I just want to confirm that a 78' auto does not use a ballast resistor.  My 77' has one but I don't see one in the 78' FSM and there isn't one in any of the boxes supplied to me.  Am I correct?

Here is the 78 ignition system per the FSM.

78 Ignition.jpg

Here is the 76 Ignition system per the FSM.

76 Ignition.jpg

I would say that your assumption is correct. The wiring breakdown on EE-25 of the 78 FSM also does not show a ballast resistor.

• Like 1

I had a 78 parts car and it did not have a ballast.  I think that it was the first "high energy" ignition system used on the Z's.  They even upped the spark plug gap.  Except for Canada.  Maybe Canada still had the old system.

image.png

• Like 1

I did not know that... So they ditched the ballast for the 78 and changed the ignition module? I mean, I know the module was different as the connector design is completely different, but I was not aware that there was any functional difference. I thought it was just cheaper for them to plug in one connector than make the six or so connections on the prior versions.

Has anyone heard any "the 78's burn better" claims or rumors because of it?

It makes you wonder if the early ignition modules, 76 and 77, would actually work with no ballast and a larger plug gap.  The first electronic ignition modules for the 260Z and maybe the early 75 280Z, were cool looking finned aluminum case units.  Implying that they had heat issues, even with a ballast.

I was lucky enough to have a 76 and 78 at the same time so compared those small things.  I actually used the 78 module in my 76 for a while, with some wiring changes, after the 76 module crapped out.  Now it's all GM HEI though, even the coil.

They went to 12v coils in 7/77 or there abouts, Im going from memory here. The TIU would then be the E12-27. The E12-27 has a 6 pin plug with 5 wires.

The earlier 77 models used the E12-12A with 6 screw terminals for the single pick-up distributor in the Californian models.

The Fed models used the E12-13 with dual pick-up distributor. It has 7 screw terminals.

Both the E12-12A and the E12-13 use a ballast resistor.

This is a photo of the earlier Californian "6 terminal" E12-12A

IMG_0351.JPG

This is the 78 model E12-27 with the terminal block. Greg, if you have this one you don't need a ballast resistor. It should have a 12 volt coil.

E12-27_1978_TIU.png

Yes, it has the E12-27. I knew something was different when I saw it, hence the query. I had a 06/77 parts car and it still had the E12-12A.  The depth of Z knowledge in this forum is truly amazing.  Anybody have any lotto ticket advice? ?

• Haha 1

• 3 weeks later...