IGNORED

Should I be concerned?

rcb280z

I just installed a new Powerforce harmonic balancer because I cracked my OE one. So after putting the car back together and installed the fan belt I noticed the belt doesn't seat completely in the balancer belt groove The belt is too wide. It seats "half way" in the groove. Should I be concerned? And if I replace the belt with a skinnier one will there be a problem with the fan and alternator pulley's? 

11.jpg

Turn on the engine its not ideal but you hear it, if the pulley spins. Turn on all power consuming devices and if you dont hear a whistle noise its ok. I drive my car with the same thing on the alternator side and it works fine since 3years.

You could source a new alternator pulley with a similar diameter to the original one to match the damper & then find a matching belt.

I would not be comfortable with the current belt issue. 

Edited by S30Driver
meant pulley not alternator
  • Like 1

My belt sits high similar to that. I may have used a 240Z crank pulley when I installed the L28 engine.

I thought the pulleys were the same at the time but the L28 pulley must be wider. I have been driving it this way for a few years now.

I upgraded to the ZX alternator so the belt fits flush there. I did buy one of those Powerforce single groove

but never got around to installing it yet. I guess I will have the same issue if I use the Powerforce pulley.

I had this problem when I installed an after market balancer. The belt would work for a while and the get hot and then slip. Tried a bunch of different belts and could never cure the problem. Found a single groove nissan balancer and installed it. Good luck.

26 minutes ago, 7tooZ said:

I had this problem when I installed an after market balancer. The belt would work for a while and the get hot and then slip. Tried a bunch of different belts and could never cure the problem. Found a single groove nissan balancer and installed it. Good luck.

I know a couple other guys running these, one for a few years, and they recommended this balancer to me. Seems a little smoother than my stock one. Hmmm.... So I don't foresee any problems. If I do I'll address it then.

Now I remember. Powerforce may have fixed this by now. When those first came out they fit so tight no one could install them. Me included.

I returned it and got one from another supplier. Same thing, No way in hell was that going onto the crank nose. I took it and my stock pulley

to the machinist to mic the ID of each. The Powerforce was .001 smaller ID. He said he did not have a keyway hone to enlarge.

So it went back into the box on the shelf. When I turn in my scrap metal next I just may toss that Powerforce in for added weight.

There was an issue with fit at one point and unfortunately you got one of them. It has been addressed and corrected since then. I would send it back to the manufacturer for a replacement. The fit on mine was good. Just had to go with a smaller belt like mentioned above. I am happy with the end result.

14 hours ago, Lumens said:

Now I remember. Powerforce may have fixed this by now. When those first came out they fit so tight no one could install them. Me included.

I returned it and got one from another supplier. Same thing, No way in hell was that going onto the crank nose. I took it and my stock pulley

to the machinist to mic the ID of each. The Powerforce was .001 smaller ID. He said he did not have a keyway hone to enlarge.

So it went back into the box on the shelf. When I turn in my scrap metal next I just may toss that Powerforce in for added weight.

I have two of these paperweights too.  I just dropped them off with a crank at the engine shop to fix the non-fit issue.  I'll let you know how it goes.

btw the document that comes with these "performance " dampers specs 6500 rpm as the max.