IGNORED

What frame rails?!

rcb280z

15 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

Don't buy it from Harbor Freight, at least get an entry level Lincoln Mig, Craigslist is a good place to start. Once you get one you'll be surprised how often you use it.

This is a very good suggestion.

Also be sure you have another alert person as a fire watch for the top side. Take the seat out and some wet towels if it comes to that...

Don't use my son!!! Who didn't notice the smoke at all!

I was like,  "Where's that smoke coming from???? "

"What smoke?"

Torched the wiring harness because he was zoning out!

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, grannyknot said:

Don't buy it from Harbour Freight, at least get an entry level Lincoln Mig,

Thanks, I was looking there!

27 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Also be sure you have another alert person as a fire watch for the top side.

Exactly what I was thinking, thanks.

If burns are badges of honor, I've got more than Gen. MacArthur. Even had one that burned a small hole in my eardrum. But I regress. I've found that it's very difficult to make a quality, good looking weld when one is flinching from pain and wondering where and when the next one is going to land.

Reviewing the suggestion above, I'd suggest a bit better coverage of one's important bits.

Edited by Mark Maras

Hardly an expert here, but I bought the Lincoln Handy MIG. It's budget-friendly (~$300) and runs on 110V, which is all I have in my garage. It won't weld anything over 1/4" but I'm not doing any of that anyway. Tank and gas was about $225, plus another ~$100 at Harbor Freight for a helmet, gloves, magnets, and some other bits and pieces.

a few years back I picked up a Lincoln 140C used on CL for $350.

I had a left rail that was the same but the full length.

As others have suggested I welded in a strip of sheet metal for the bottom of the hat section.

I did get lots of little burns because I just had a sweatshirt on so wear layers if you don't have a leather welding jacket.

It came out OK but messy looking due to my lack of skill. I filled in the gaps with seam sealer and painted it.

It's good until I really do a full resto.

1F43C504-1844-491D-BB43-14FCFB19104E_zps

A78430D5-68B1-4FA8-A3DE-0283AE29BC68_zps

DD40DAF9-B5F6-433C-B43B-07AE1C9F74E5_zps

Edited by SurferD

All clothing should be cotton while welding.   NO plastic based fabrics while welding.  The plastic based stuff will melt to your skin and pull whats left of your skin off with it with it.  I've been known to weld with sandals on and have the scars to prove it.   Not smart!

Eastwood also makes a good MIG135 that is on sale often for less than $300.  I have one, no complaints about it.

• Like 1