IGNORED

Bringing a 1977 Z back life

Av8ferg

I saw the too big blob also and wondered.  Notice though, and I've wondered about this in the past, how five holes in your picture are lined up, except the second one doesn't have a hole.  The're not in the same spot on every lobe, relative to the ramp, they are in a line so that they can be drilled efficiently.  The second one is on the ramp so they didn't drill it.  So, if there was a hole in the #1 lobe I'd expect it to be on the other side so that the next three can be drilled, off the ramps.

Your picture looks way too clean.  It's unnatural.  But there is a lot of oil, as there should be.

5 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

I used lacquer thinner to clean my spray bar. Had to soak it for 24 hrs. to dissolve everything on the inside. A torch tip cleaner is an excellent tool to clean the holes.

Me too!  Used a piece of PVC full of lacquer thinner for a day or two.

EDIT: if you ever have to paint staircase spindles this works great but you have to do it before installation.  Staple some string or wire on the end and hang them on something to dry.

DSC01318.thumb.JPG.e1a799d82b26f741afa48

Edited by siteunseen
  • Like 1

Ha...

Well you all have me worrying about my cam.  I’ve never seen any holes in my cam but haven’t honestly looked.  More to check out when I’m back in Memphis.  

I’ve.been reading about my cam timing issue.  I agree, mine looks way advanced.  It seems to be on hole two.  If I move it back to hole #1 it might line up better per the FSM.  The way I understand this is after loosening the cam bolt I will rotate the sprocket to the left..Counter Clockwise until hole number one is on the top. Do I need to mark the chain somewhere before do this?  

I got flamed pretty good for doing this but it works good on my two Zs. After rebuilding and all new timing components I set mine in hole three right off the bat. From all ive read they love advance?

When I'm fooling with the timing chain I put vise grips on both sides of the cam,  driver and passenger's side. Clamp them on the rough spots between the lobes so the handle rest against the top of the head. It won't move.

Something else your gonna run into if you got that blue/purple chain tensioner tool from amazon that I bought, the first time you pull it out the wire comes loose. Hopefully that happened to me because my new chain was so damn tight.

You wish Nissan kept maintenance records like the FAA. LOL

I went up in a '70 Mooney a couple of months ago and here I am.

Apparently, from the writings of the infamous Tony D, running on #2 or #3 with a new chain drops the powerband down in the RPM range.  You get a torquier engine feel.  So if you're not looking for high revs and max power it's a good option.  I've always been a "short shifter" myself so if I built an engine I might try that.

site, do you remember where the notch was, relative to the groove, with your #3 hole setup?  Av8's doesn't look terrible, I brought it up more as evidence that things aren't right.  If you get enough not rights collected, things don't work.

I'll try and find a photo of the notches on the cam sprocket. 

Racer Brown's article says the advanced opening and closing are beneficial too.

In a small town like I have top end is useless,  red light racing is all we can do and I'm holding my own with the camaros and mustangs. They want me to pull over and ask a bunch of questions. I tell them I have k and n cold air intake. LOL