IGNORED

Engine Cradle???

Marty Rogan

6 hours ago, cbuczesk said:

I think this is the way to go. I bought the small dolly for bare blocks and the larger dolly for complete engines. To support the engine I took a 4 scrap pieces of 2x4 (2 in front and 2 in back) to support the engine. I plan to buy a bunch more of each. They roll really well. I have a threshold between the big work bay and storage area and they rolled over that with ease.

Chuck

The HF dolly looks like the way to go.  It will cut down on the time to source and attach wheels.  And I have some scrap 2x4 in the garage already.

Here's the one ZYA built over 10 years ago ('cause the one in the attached picture had been sitting in my garage with an L28 since 2006 and I just took the short block to the machine shop last month).

Sides are: 24x7

Ends are: 111/4 x 4

Plywood bottom

Notch for oil pump is 4 3/4 x 2

Opening is 8 1/2 wide

Wheels: whatever rolls your boat

Fits both stock and Arizona Z car 6 qt pans

L-series engine cradle.jpg

Edited by gnosez

27 minutes ago, gnosez said:

Here's the one ZYA built over 10 years ago ('cause the one in the attached picture had been sitting in my garage with an L28 since 2006 and I just took the short block to the machine shop last month).

Sides are: 24x7

Ends are: 111/4 x 4

Plywood bottom

Notch for oil pump is 4 3/4 x 2

Opening is 8 1/2 wide

Wheels: whatever rolls your boat

Fits both stock and Arizona Z car 6 qt pans

L-series engine cradle.jpg

Thanks for the picture.  It give me a much better idea of what it is supposed to look like without an engine on it.

The wood HF dolly works great but  the wood will slowly bend and sag if the weight is applied toward the center.  Then the casters will rotate outward and it won't roll well.  Easy to reinforce, or just make sure that the actual load points are by the casters.

Some folks might want to use the hooks on each side to place a strap over the engine so when you lift it up in the bed of the truck it stays as one. You could then cross strap the whole assembly down, transport it and lift the whole thing off once you've arrived.

Me? I turn it over and use it as a fishing lure

• Like 1