IGNORED

Engine Cradle???

Marty Rogan

Does anybody make an engine cradle for the Z engine?  I have an L28 that I am going to need to move to a new house in a few weeks.  I have it on an engine stand right now, but I figured that is not a good way to move it.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have.

Marty

I will post a picture of a simple, inexpensive wooden cradle that we've been used for 10 years. It is built around the oil pan edge with a cut-out for the oil pump. It has 4 wheels (you decide what type and height) and I install a "j" hook on each side for a strap so I can lift the engine with the cradle attached into my truck for transport.

15 minutes ago, 240260280 said:

I love this cradle design also have several in use.

The simplist form is a pair of 2x6 long ones and a pair of 2x4's at the ends to let the pan hang down into the cradle at each end and allow you to position fore and aft as needed. 22 ish long 2x6's and 8.5" 2x4's inbetween the 2x6's at each end (12.5 total width)

5 hours ago, zKars said:

I love this cradle design also have several in use.

The simplist form is a pair of 2x6 long ones and a pair of 2x4's at the ends to let the pan hang down into the cradle at each end and allow you to position fore and aft as needed. 22 ish long 2x6's and 8.5" 2x4's inbetween the 2x6's at each end (12.5 total width)

I used 2x6  all the way around and the oil pump wouldn't sit right. 2x4s worked out fine.

7 hours ago, Darrel said:

Harbor freight furniture dolly(the bigger one), Then build it up with the 2x4 etc.

I think this is the way to go. I bought the small dolly for bare blocks and the larger dolly for complete engines. To support the engine I took a 4 scrap pieces of 2x4 (2 in front and 2 in back) to support the engine. I plan to buy a bunch more of each. They roll really well. I have a threshold between the big work bay and storage area and they rolled over that with ease.

Chuck