IGNORED

Cody's Goon

Patcon

On 10/17/2019 at 8:34 PM, Patcon said:

So he paints in a 2 car garage, where he also does filler and metal work with just a window fan for ventilation He wets the floor down but that's it and I swear he has way less trash in his paint than I do in my plastic booth!!

I'm really surprised by this (astonished would be more like it).  Whenever I've spray-painted in an open garage, everything ends up covered with a light paint haze afterwards.  It looks like this guy doesn't cover up anything in the garage before he gets started.

I can't believe that that little window fan is generating much in the way of an air exhaust rate. I wonder if wetting the floor does more than just keep down floor dust?  Or maybe your painter has mastered his gun settings to the point where overspray is only a minor issue?

7 hours ago, EuroDat said:

Hi Charles, Great father son project you have. Looks amazing. default_beer - Copy.gif   smiley_abuv - Copy.gif

Thanks Chas

We have both grown a lot during the process. It's hard doing a project like this during the "Testosterone years" but I think we are through the worst of it. We are hoping to have both cars ready for Zcon 2020. Have you considered coming over for it? I would be glad to pick you up somewhere...

3 hours ago, Namerow said:

I'm really surprised by this (astonished would be more like it).  Whenever I've spray-painted in an open garage, everything ends up covered with a light paint haze afterwards.  It looks like this guy doesn't cover up anything in the garage before he gets started.

I can't believe that that little window fan is generating much in the way of an air exhaust rate. I wonder if wetting the floor does more than just keep down floor dust?  Or maybe your painter has mastered his gun settings to the point where overspray is only a minor issue?

I don't know either. The fan does ok because the shop isn't very big with 8' ceilings but everything in the shop has a layer of dirt on it but the paint has almost no trash. He does fog the shop up pretty good when he really gets going. I think there is a lesson in here somewhere. I am not quite sure what it is yet. Maybe instead of a booth, I should just drape the rest of my shop to keep it clean, wet the floor and spray away?

• 7 months later...

11/23/2019

back from paint jail

Left on 3/4/2019 for a 4 week paint job...

We have gone around a couple of times to get him moving on it again. He is finally starting to work on a few weeks ago. He has some doors partially assembled and on the car and it's at the trim shop for a headliner currently

20191123_131233.jpg20191123_131239.jpg20191123_131244.jpg

I told him he needed to get going and finish it or I would pay him for what he's in the car and keep it for myself. Tired of it taking up premium space around the shop!

He's really very close and could have the car running in just a few weeks if he got serious about it

Edited by Patcon
  • Like 2

• 4 months later...

So we have made some progress. Some of it two steps forward one step back.

We got the headliner done but it looks like "Fido's hindend". It fits poorly, is too thick and was coming loose a day or two after we got it home. So we are gonna cut our losses and redo it ourselves. I ordered one and it was supposed to be here Monday but who knows where it is now!

He has 3 out of 4 doors on the car and those are mostly assembled and gasketed. Have I stated recently that weather strips suck!! I hate em!! Trying to get them on in the right place and working properly is such a pain!

20201024_173039.jpg20201024_173046.jpg

Part of our slow down is I have been hurt for about 3 months now and Cody is working 50 hr weeks and taking classes at night. He gets about 10-12 hours of sleep during the 5 day week.

I have a problem that I need some help with. Actually two...

I installed the door seals like this. This seemed the intuitive way to do this

20201025_133552.jpg20201025_133601.jpg20201025_133605.jpg20201025_133626.jpg

The first problem is the seals don't close the way I would expect them too.

I would expect them to lay down against the body like this

20201025_133640.jpg20201025_133647.jpg

but right down the end of the door where the hinges are they tend to bunch up instead of laying down against the body. We can flip the seals out so they lay right but they dont do it on their own. So do other people seals lay properly against the body or just crumple up. They look sealed either way but are harder to close when they crumple up.

@zKars

@grannyknot

The second problem is the rear hatch. I'm not sure how to run the inner hatch seal. I may need to make some better pictures but the seal seems to only fit one way. On 3 sides of the hatch it makes sense. On the bottom, not so much. Either the orientation needs to change or I have to deal with the extra rubber on the seal

So I'm not sure these pics will be of much help to you, I'm nowhere near ready to cement the seals in yet so I can't replicate what is happening to yours.  But I wonder if it isn't as easy as lubricating the seals a bit so they don't crumple but slide over the paint into the right position or maybe put the seals the way you want them and then keep the door closed for a week so they can take on some memory?

IMG_0436.JPG

IMG_0438.JPG

IMG_0439.JPG

Thanks GK

That is the orientation I used.

I did that, with the seals. I used some of the Honda rubber treatment I learned of here on the site and got the seals laying down flat. Unfortunately the weather is cooling off, so I don't know how much memory they will acquire