IGNORED

Cody's Goon

Patcon

It's an alternate spelling.  Baulky/ balky, refusing to go.  I've always heard about horses and cows being balky.  Maybe a girl or two. LOL

Here you go...

balk·y

Dictionary result for balky

/ˈbôkē/
adjective
US
adjective: baulky
  1. reluctant; uncooperative.
    "he was trying to get his balky horse to move"

9 hours ago, Patcon said:

I have looked in the case but find it hard to tell how worn the parts are.

The easiest items to assess are the brass synchro (balk) rings. The teeth should be sharp, wedge-shaped. Usually, the second gear teeth are rounded. Third gear, a little better. Fourth, better yet. There should be measurements in the FSM to assess the amount of wear using a feeler gauge. Got to thinking about our definition of baulk. Does it grind (snck) a bit going into second if one shifts it too fast or is it just plain difficult to get it into second?

33 minutes ago, Mark Maras said:

The easiest items to assess are the brass synchro (balk) rings. The teeth should be sharp, wedge-shaped. Usually, the second gear teeth are rounded. Third gear, a little better. Fourth, better yet. There should be measurements in the FSM to assess the amount of wear using a feeler gauge. Got to thinking about our definition of baulk. Does it grind (snck) a bit going into second if one shifts it too fast or is it just plain difficult to get it into second?

Doesn't grind. Might if you tried to force it. It just resists going into the gear. Same when shifting down. All the other gears were pretty smooth. I assume this is from being driven hard 1st -2nd. Less so in 3rd gear. The car was running terrible bad during the test so it wasn't very comprehensive

I hate to add another large section to getting the car back on the road right now.

I spent all weekend stripping the car. It goes to "paint jail" in a week. Presumably for 3 months or so. We'll see on that. I plan on trying to talk him into getting the hardware plated while the car is apart. I plan on exploring a professional plater in the area. I am still a little unsure about my DIY plating. Some of it seems to be very corrosion resistant others seem to fade early.

We also have to go through all the hydraulics, wiring harness, heater system and other sundries