IGNORED

240z electrical issue

auvelas

The best advice I can give you is to put all the wiring back to stock specs.

Then, at the 6-pin connector that normally plugs into the Voltage Regulator (VR), due the following....

Connect the white and yellow wires together.
Connect the black/white and white/black together using the diode. The stripe on the diode goes to the white/black wire.
Use an internally regulated 60 amp alternator (81' to 83' 280ZX and other similar units)

That's the best I can do for you at the moment.
Dave

Diode wiring diagram.jpg

• Like 1

ALSO........
after you've done all the above. Run an 8 gauge power wire from the (B+) alternator output bolt to the Starter's battery cable bolt.
This will give you better, more efficient charging and minimize the higher amperage damage to the old 45 amp ammeter.

This will stop it from over heating, not damage the ammeter and you'll see less movement on the ammeter dial.  But you'll still have plenty of power to the fuse box. I had it this way on my 70' 240Z for 8 years with NO issues.

Also a great idea to increase the battery cables to no less than 4 gauge with new clean and tight terminals.
Pull the ground wire from the fender (below the battery-above the frame and across from the starter) and clean the metal surface and terminal and re-tighten snugly. That ground is from the alternator, dash and engine harness.
Make sure you have a good ground wire from the Battery's negative post to the firewall as well.

• 1 month later...

Quick update guys... rewired everything that connectsto to alternator and new diode. New grounds and rechecked power connectors. Alternator was still giving me issues. It turned out every time I tested alternator it passed test. From AutoZone,  O'Reilly to Napa. They all tested PASS.. I bought new alternator and Voila !!! It was bad alternator from the start. The test bench passed them but i believed with load and revs above 3k RPM the alternator was faulty. Test bench test has minimal load, rpm less then 2.5

I guess if anyone has issues like me and all connectors are clean and done correctly just buy new alternator. 

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

The guy on zcar said that his email got returned as undeliverable.  Maybe he had a typo. 

Is there a reason that you don't have the web site address in your sig?  Seems like a good place for it.  Good luck.