IGNORED

Duffy's 1/71 Series 1 240z build

duffymahoney

• 4 weeks later...

Hi DuffyMahoney.  I'd be interested to know if you put together a "Guide To Injection" type of document for the conversion you did to your Z.   I just recently acquired a 7/71 DOM 240Z with the original 240 L24 motor (with a few upgrades) and would like to convert to injection.  But, I haven't really found a good tutorial that has a parts list and step by step guide....I don't really know all that much about fuel injection other than how it works.  But for this motor and these cars, I know a lot of people have accomplished it.  Anyway, nice work on your Z.  It's really incredible!  Here's the Bring A Trailer link to the one I bought. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-datsun-240z-244/

It didn't sell at auction, but I tracked down the owner and bought it.  So now it's going to get some (more) loving attention.  Thank you in advance sir!

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Zooter71 said:

Hi DuffyMahoney.  I'd be interested to know if you put together a "Guide To Injection" type of document for the conversion you did to your Z.   I just recently acquired a 7/71 DOM 240Z with the original 240 L24 motor (with a few upgrades) and would like to convert to injection.  But, I haven't really found a good tutorial that has a parts list and step by step guide....I don't really know all that much about fuel injection other than how it works.  But for this motor and these cars, I know a lot of people have accomplished it.  Anyway, nice work on your Z.  It's really incredible!  Here's the Bring A Trailer link to the one I bought. https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1971-datsun-240z-244/

It didn't sell at auction, but I tracked down the owner and bought it.  So now it's going to get some (more) loving attention.  Thank you in advance sir!

Turning an old car from carbs to EFI isn't super simple, also nobody tends to do it the same way.  That is why there is no how to, I also don't want to write such a thing. I would consider myself a newbie at best.  

Why do you want efi?  Su carbs are awesome and highly underated. If I was smart, I would put mine back on.  Going ITB, has been extremely challenging.  Luckily there is more info now and new ecu's are coming out that address some of the issues with ITB.  

A few things to think about.  All of these can be solved with money, if you have it.  

How will the ecu know what stroke it's on?  There are a few ways to do this, cam trigger, crank triggers, flywheel etc..

Plenum or ITB

What ECU

Are you good at wiring? 

Whats your end goal?  

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

8 hours ago, Zooter71 said:

Pretty Car! Money ahead to buy a car like that and refine it versus my selected path...

6 hours ago, duffymahoney said:

Turning an old car from carbs to EFI isn't super simple, also nobody tends to do it the same way.  That is why there is no how to, I also don't want to write such a thing. I would consider myself a newbie at best.  

Why do you want efi?  Su carbs are awesome and highly underated. If I was smart, I would put mine back on.  Going ITB, has been extremely challenging.  Luckily there is more info now and new ecu's are coming out that address some of the issues with ITB.  

A few things to think about.  All of these can be solved with money, if you have it.  

How will the ecu know what stroke it's on?  There are a few ways to do this, cam trigger, crank triggers, flywheel etc..

Plenum or ITB

What ECU

Are you good at wiring? 

Whats your end goal?  

I wanted to go ITB's, now you're making me nervous.

5 hours ago, Patcon said:

Pretty Car! Money ahead to buy a car like that and refine it versus my selected path...

I wanted to go ITB's, now you're making me nervous.

I would not say ITB is easy, but I am not giving up.  Emtron has a tuning method for their ecu, it's called Throttle Mass Flow.  Basically knowing before throttle plate and after throttle plate pressure, throttle position, plus temp, plus throttle size they can calculate air going into the motor at anytime.  Having the ECU know that gives it an ability to self tune and run.  I will be swapping ECUs soon.  

• Like 1

Well, I actually had not thought it through, which after reading your reply....I guess I'll stick with the SU's on the vehicle.  I tuned them via the factory service manual just yesterday, and they work really well. Thanks for taking the time to explain the pitfalls!

If anyone else is reading this, just ask and I'll scan the SU section of the factory manual for the round tops and post the files here.  I know it's all over the internets, but it never hurts to have it more places.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, Patcon said:

What is your system like? Crank trigger? TPS? Haltech? Etc

If you wanted to go simple, you could go with a system similar to what Rick Patton sells. It limits tunability, but it is simple. Affordable Fuel Injection sells the repurposed ECUs. The parts to support it are easily sourced.

Another possibility is Megasquirt. You would have to set up a base map. This link gives you an idea of what you need to do: https://www.diyautotune.com/news/tuning-tips/megasquirt-efi-tuning-ecu-jeff-linfert/