Home Built by Jeff

Home Built Z 'Full video build'

This week I finish off the head assembly and mount it to the block. It is coming together and I am getting excited.

Edited by Home Built by Jeff
  • Like 1

Time to celebrate!  An appropriate song: Head On!

JAMC!?! You're even cooler than I thought!

Sent from my SM-G950U1 using Tapatalk

• Like 1

Late reply to one of your painting videos where you attempt to ‘cut” off a paint run.   Instead of trying to slice off the run, the preferred method is to scrape it off.  Put a small piece of tape covering the razor blade edge at each end of the blade...so the end of the blade does not dig in.  Then hold the blade perpendicular to the body/paint run and gently scrape off the run.  Color sand flush, polish, perfection.

12 hours ago, David F said:

Late reply to one of your painting videos where you attempt to ‘cut” off a paint run.   Instead of trying to slice off the run, the preferred method is to scrape it off.  Put a small piece of tape covering the razor blade edge at each end of the blade...so the end of the blade does not dig in.  Then hold the blade perpendicular to the body/paint run and gently scrape off the run.  Color sand flush, polish, perfection.

😉 

• Like 1

Just a small correction Jeffry, there is no such thing as metric steel, all steel (same as lumber, piping wire gauge ect)is made in imperial sizes, your ""3mm" is 1/8 of an inch thick by one inch (eye balling it). yes I know that its marketed that way in metric markets...but still..just for common knowledge,.

7 hours ago, tzagi1 said:

Just a small correction Jeffry, there is no such thing as metric steel, all steel (same as lumber, piping wire gauge ect)is made in imperial sizes, your ""3mm" is 1/8 of an inch thick by one inch (eye balling it). yes I know that its marketed that way in metric markets...but still..just for common knowledge,.

This statement would benefit from having a little bit of sunlight shone on it...

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, tzagi1 said:

Lumber here is definitely in mm not inches by the way. I have done a lot of carpentry and it is pretty spot on. Structural here is bang on 90x45mm, etc, we don't have 2"x4"s like the US have. Not 100% sure on the steel though.

1 hour ago, Home Built by Jeff said:

Lumber here is definitely in mm not inches by the way. I have done a lot of carpentry and it is pretty spot on. Structural here is bang on 90x45mm, etc, we don't have 2"x4"s like the US have. Not 100% sure on the steel though.

Its the same in the UK, I'd guess lots of the world....

9 hours ago, tzagi1 said:

Just too add, you're eyeball is off by 0.2mm(ish).

• Haha 1

We don't really have 2x4's in the US either. Once the lumber is dried and planed they are more like 3.5" (88.9mm) x 1.5" (38.1mm), much closer to the size Jeff is used to.

• Like 1

We are metric in Canada but lumber is not....except what you buy at Ikea.

When I lived in Ireland I recall posted road speed being mph but posted distances being km.... sort of mixed like in Canada.  For weather, wind speed was mph in Ireland but kph in Canada.

• Like 1

A 2x4 hasn't been a 2x4 since the 50's, I did own a house that was built in 48, it was made or real 2x4s

I did some work in Africa and the middle east, its all the same in size, just in metric lingo.

For example, if you need a 1 inch pipe you will request a 1 ZOLL (German for inch) for whatever reason...

20 minutes ago, tzagi1 said:

A 2x4 hasn't been a 2x4 since the 50's, I did own a house that was built in 48, it was made or real 2x4s

I did some work in Africa and the middle east, its all the same in size, just in metric lingo.

For example, if you need a 1 inch pipe you will request a 1 ZOLL (German for inch) for whatever reason...

they were probably just keeping you in a comfort zone.

Germans are very metric, have been since the late 1800's.

This week I finally get the colour onto my 240z. It has almost been 12 months of work to get to this point, and it still has a long way to go, but it is great to reach this milestone.

• Like 1