IGNORED

Home Built Z 'Full video build'

Home Built by Jeff

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Nissan's drawings and explanations really aren't very good at explaining the purpose of the various parts.

image.png

image.png

That is a handy diagram. One of my viewers pointed out that the way I have it, any overflow in the tank will go straight into the carbon canister. The easy fix is to just turn the T piece at the fuel filler neck, so that the breather line is facing up not down. Hopefully that will avoid any issues.

Jeff, I put a comment on your video. Looks like the big issue you have is too much spark advance. I can tell just by the way it runs

and by the way it sounds turning over. Back timing off until it runs best. Been thru this same issue on mine and others cars. Try it and let us know.

• Like 1

Funny that in this case two wrongs actually made a right.  I missed where you told who that guy was that did the final tuning and problem solving.  He seemed to know what he was doing for sure.

Those washers are called yokes.  People have problems with them often, even the header manufacturers don't seem to understand that they need thick flanges on their headers to match the intake manifold flange thickness.  Lots of bad header designs out there.

Good video, worth a watch. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Zed Head said:

Funny that in this case two wrongs actually made a right.  I missed where you told who that guy was that did the final tuning and problem solving.  He seemed to know what he was doing for sure.

Those washers are called yokes.  People have problems with them often, even the header manufacturers don't seem to understand that they need thick flanges on their headers to match the intake manifold flange thickness.  Lots of bad header designs out there.

Good video, worth a watch. 

Yep. I didn't talk about the tuner as he doesn't want to be flooded with calls and more work as he has plenty to keep him going forever ?, but he is basically THE Datsun guy in Aus' and has been building Datsun rally cars forever. 

As for the washers, I got the engine as a bare block so I didn't know about them and when I fitted the manifold, I didn't really think about it too much. What we actually ( or they to be specific) did, was pulled off the manifold and put it on a mill to match the thickness of the inlet manifold to the exhaust manifold and then they all bolted down nicely. 

That was a long day at the shop!

Good you got it sorted. That is one of the disadvantages of buying a project in a box. Always helpful to have someone who knows how all the details should be

Cheers, enjoy!

• Like 1