IGNORED

Tail Gaters...

ramsesosirus

I do the same, I don't care if they want to speed.  I floor it myself and speed every so often.  Sometimes you don't have anywhere to go though.  

It's really that the 240z (or any Z with 240 bumpers) would be totaled if rear ended.  

I'm always in the right lane, always signaling well ahead, always braking safely.  

I guess it's a compromise: either risk it, or never drive it.  

Now that Halloween season is approaching, my passenger is a life size skeleton (I am a Halloween fanatic).  Let's hope that gives them an indication of my level of sanity.

The third brake light should help, at least for visibility.  I ordered one of the 11" LED ones that stick to the rear glass.

I took it out today, beautiful day here in NE, first real "Fall" weather day.  Several people stopped way back.  Not one tailgater today, first time in a while.

I do think the vanity plates help a little bit, as well as having my light on all the time.  I didn't know that the 3rd brake light became a requirement in 1986 or so, maybe people are so used to it that without it, they don't notice as well.  

Don't know if it would be legal but IMO the third brake light should be yellow and come on when the throttle pedal is all the way up, making it a deceleration light. In theory, that would give the driver behind a warning that one is slowing before braking. The 1/2 second or more warning would eliminate a lot of rear enders. When I was drag racing. we found that it took a 1/2 second after the light to get the car moving. Reaction time, clutch pedal travel, mechanical clearances and traction all added up to a 1/2 second. If we left when the last green flashed on (Christmas tree lights were a 1/2 second apart) we always were first off the line. Seems like that time theory would be applicable to braking too. But then, I've always questioned whether a third small brake light really does much good.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, ramsesosirus said:

Haha back in the day (high school) my cars would emit that smell constantly, and not to aggravate other drivers... Skunks smell like a certain plant that I used partake in the smoking of... if you know what I mean.

Whenever I'm driving with someone and we smell a skunk, they're always like "Eeew", while I'm thinking, that smells like some very good marijuana.  Haha It's true

I see a lot of cars with inop brake lights. That middle light keeps me from rear ending those cars. Seems like they're not on all the new cars now days? Twenty years ago every car had one.

Speaking of lights, motorcycles have some wacky things going on now. I always had the small flush mounts on mine but I've crashed more than Evel Kinevel so I'm paying for my younger coolness now. :(

The good ole days weren't so good!

16 hours ago, siteunseen said:

I see a lot of cars with inop brake lights. That middle light keeps me from rear ending those cars. Seems like they're not on all the new cars now days? Twenty years ago every car had one.

Speaking of lights, motorcycles have some wacky things going on now. I always had the small flush mounts on mine but I've crashed more than Evel Kinevel so I'm paying for my younger coolness now. :(

The good ole days weren't so good!

From what I've read, the third brake light came about in 1986:

History

The third brake light law went into effect in 1986 for passenger cars, and light trucks in 1994. The decision was based on effective tests done with taxi cabs and company fleet vehicles, illustrating a reduction in rear end crashes with the use of the extra light.

So technically (and legally), all cars from 1986 (and trucks 1994) should have them.  I do think they help, since they are not a dual function light (like tail lights) and they're right in the driver's line of sight.  

But, if the other driver is texting etc... nothing will help.  I was T-boned a few years back when a texting driver blew right through a red light.  Luckily I saw them out of the corner of my eye and swerved, so if was not a direct T-bone.  Several other cars.

• Like 1

On Monday, September 04, 2017 at 8:29 PM, siteunseen said:

What do other people think of tapping their brake lights when someone is on your bumper?

My uncle did that and my parents didn't want me in the car with him driving. Early '80s too, he was just being a dork.

I wouldn't brake check anyone. They might not have good reflexes. Just ask Sebastian Vettel!

• Like 3

Some lady brake checked me the other day.  She was going way under the limit in the left lane, which made people subsequently tail gate me (in my DD Tahoe).  And I wasn't even really that close to her. 

It infuriated me to the point where I started screaming.  I was about to flip her off, but I saw she must have been 80 years old.

Most of the time a brake check will just make the other driver(s) mad, they usually know if they're following too close.  Or they just shouldn't have a license, you're supposed to use the 3 second rule.  It's amazing how many people drive like idiots: Speeding, swerving, almost rear ending you when you're turning right.

If I am going to speed, I make sure I have room all around me.  I also try to "avoid the pack" if at all possible.  

I also really hate it when someone pulls up right alongside you and then stays there, or stays in your blind spot.  I like to have room to "escape" if need be.

I swear I avoid accidents every day by driving defensively.  And if I get a call or text, I pull over ASAP, because you can't really focus on both.  

You also never know who is having a really bad day, week, year, or life.  Just yesterday there was a road rage incident on the news, where a semi driver got out of his truck, pounded on the window of a car, and was then shot in the back 3 times by that car.  He died.  

Like I mentioned earlier, I don't carry a gun because I know that when I get to that level of rage or anger, you do things you normally would not.  

Maybe I'll try the "skunk" method again, at least it will calm me down.  But then I'll have Cheetos debris all over my fingers, which might hinder my grip on the wood wheel.  

Edited by ramsesosirus
  • Like 1

I can relate to you. Im in the Folsom area and I do hang out quite a bit in Tahoe and Reno. It frustrates me so to spend so much time and money only to have the clueless come way to close to me. I will be getting 2 Go Pros for my Z. The camera in the back will be on the outside facing directly into the car behind me. Wouldn't that be something if you could get a personal license plate that says Sue Happy. I tried this with my buddies camera and it does have an effect. The only way to get through to the increasing amount of morons on the road is through their pocket book. Oh and for the aholes that come to a complete stop on a freeway yea I would recommend upgrading your brakes.
Peace.
Alex
My build is on Instagram under #zlockbox

Sent from my XT1650 using Classic Zcar Club mobile

• Like 2

6 hours ago, zlockbox said:

I can relate to you. Im in the Folsom area and I do hang out quite a bit in Tahoe and Reno. It frustrates me so to spend so much time and money only to have the clueless come way to close to me. I will be getting 2 Go Pros for my Z. The camera in the back will be on the outside facing directly into the car behind me. Wouldn't that be something if you could get a personal license plate that says Sue Happy. I tried this with my buddies camera and it does have an effect. The only way to get through to the increasing amount of morons on the road is through their pocket book. Oh and for the aholes that come to a complete stop on a freeway yea I would recommend upgrading your brakes.
Peace.
Alex
My build is on Instagram under #zlockbox

Sent from my XT1650 using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Cool, I'll check out your car.  I've been rear ended several times in other cars, got some decent whiplash one time, I couldn't even turn my neck for awhile.

My old classic that is gone now, 87 Monte SS, was rear ended pretty good (I was actually the front car out of 3, someone rear ended the guy behind me, who got pushed into me).  Probably both their faults.  But it had a good bumper and I fixed it.

Not the case for Z's.  Especially 240z/ 240z bumpers. While the 280z bumpers are much better, they're so low that many cars, especially trucks or SUVs, would hit the tail light panel anyways.  

I had a few other topics here lately to help address this issue: I just added an inexpensive but great LED third brake light that sticks to the window (connect to your stock brake wire).

I also upgraded to Sylvania ZEVO 1157 LED brake/tail bulbs, and they work great.  They have a different design than most LEDs, as they utilize the stock reflector.  Also added white LEDs to the license plate light.  

Honestly, I could care less if someone rear ends my DD.  As long as they don't injure me too much.  But a lot of classics (Z's included), it's usually pretty clear it's not your average everyday car.  Especially with my "Husker" vanity plates "76 Z".  And I do keep clearance in front, drive defensively, etc...

The cameras are a great idea.  I think a lot of cars in Russia have them, maybe it's required?  Lots of youtube videos of accidents and whatnot are in Russia since it's all recorded.  And I bet it does help, notifying the driver behind that everything is recorded.  Heck, maybe even installing a "fake" globe camera would help, like lots of stores use. (I was at a gas station last week that had these "Cameras" mounted the HVAC ductwork... highly unlikely they're real hahaha.

As for the actual braking system, mine sucked for awhile.  I just went ahead and got a new master cylinder, remanufactured booster, new calipers, new pads, new shims, and new shoes.  Bled it good.  I don't like to stop on a dime, but I will if need be.  I do all my own work so it was about $300 for a nearly complete brake upgrade.  The stock brakes, working properly, should stop a stock Z very well.  

My other favorite is to get swole like I used to be and roll without a shirt.  Then you really can get out of your car at the light and intimidate the hell outta the idiots.  I've done some crazy stuff in the past when people tail gate me, tried to relax a little.

Nebraska was just ranked 15th worst state for road rage.  Guy was shot and killed last week.  Which is a shame, since our traffic really never gets as bad as some cities.  you can usually get across town here is 20 min or less.  Rush hour is like an hour maximum, in the winter with snow.  

Also, as in one of my other posts, I'd love to get the flaming exhaust (spark plug) and just freaking melt their front bumper.  Not my fault my old car has "hiccups".  Hahah I'm bad I know.  

But this Z really is more than just a car to me, done so much to it and it's really been the sole motivation to keep on during tough times.  

At the same time, I do see a lot of cars also give me lots of room at lights, some people get it.  Whenever I see a classic or "special interest" car, I try to get behind them so I can give them room.  I'm sure they appreciate it, I know I really appreciate it when I see a car give me room as well in the Z.  

One good tip I have, that might not work as well in a low Z, is if for some reason I'm clearly going to rearend someone, or if someone might rear end me, is to just pull off the road into the grass or whatever.  I've even hopped a curb and broken a ball joint in my old S10 to avoid it.  Z's are too low though.

Maybe playing very loud rap music, like DMX, might help.  Ya never know what a thug will do haha.  

Or, if the DMV will approve it, I've thought of some "interesting" vanity plates for this issue, including:

FELON

ZUI

KILLAH

INMATE

PSYCHO

TEMPER

SUICIDE

GANGSTA

and the list goes on.  

The DMV acts like they can restrict plates, which they can.

But I've seen many "state issued" non custom plates that either include the numbers "420" (marijuana), "666", VAG 411 (really?  must be a vanity....)

I get the Husker Vanity plates because our standard plates in Nebraska usually suck.  Last time we had a yellow mockingbird.  Now we got that guy that is jerking off (the sower).  It was on national news and comedy shows.  I'm not a big Husker fan honestly.  And while I might be a jerking off fan (sorry), I don't want it on my friggin plates.  We have like 8 different vanity plate options now.

$70 a year for what I got.  Not too bad, you gotta pick your priorities.  And my Z is at the top of my list. 

This is our standard issue plate.... 

zzz neb plate.jpg

And here is the Husker one, pretty sweet I think.  Hard to read since the background is too bright, but I don't care if cops have trouble. LOL.  Even though the Huskers have sucked lately.  I'm bout to use my athletic eligibility and run circles round em.  I can be really fast when huge dudes are chasing me.

husker plate.png

Edited by ramsesosirus

Alabama has the "year of manufacturer" law for tags. I have a tag from 1972 on my '72 240. Pretty cool I think.

I remember those SS Monte Carlos, blue or white that's it for color. Pretty quick to but then Buick came out with the turbo Regal. Holy sh it those things were quick!

20170217_152535.jpg

Edited by siteunseen

8 hours ago, siteunseen said:

Alabama has the "year of manufacturer" law for tags. I have a tag from 1972 on my '72 240. Pretty cool I think.

I remember those SS Monte Carlos, blue or white that's it for color. Pretty quick to but then Buick came out with the turbo Regal. Holy sh it those things were quick!

20170217_152535.jpg

Nice, I think they have those here, but you're really limited as to when you can drive it (parades only, not to work or school, etc...)  So you're saying those were the plates issued in 1972 or whatever year Z you have?  Or they're just "antique" plates?

Your car looks great BTW, jealous of that garage setup.  Really liking the spoiler, how did you attach it?  So the original 240z's had no holes and indentations below the bumper, or you smoothed it out?

Member that old Valvoline commercial, where they're going down the block in the suburbs and they get to that house where it's just a huge garge, and a tent in the yard?  That's a 80's Monte SS in the driveway!  Then they say "You know the guys who use Valvoline".  Haha!  I've never been able to find that commercial online, which is weird.  There was also a "rare" aerocoupe version in 86 and 87, basically a big hatchback type window.  Don't care for it, ruins the body lines IMO.  

Old Aerocoupe Monte SS ad:  (they call it a fastback in the commercial).  They did this since the Monte's aerodynamics were horrible, it's boxy.  So for the NASCAR racing, they had to produce one to the public to be able to use it.

I'm pretty much an expert on the 4th gen Montes.  (1983-1988).  Very good looking cars when done right.   The stock 305 was too weak for the weight of the car, I think stock Zs have similar horsepower.  I think white and blue were the only color options initially, but later you could get maroon, black, silver, white.  I think blue was only a 1983/4 option.  I could tell you every variation they made, like side mirros, rear bumper and tail lights changed in the later years.  The wheels and spoiler also changed.  The decals also changed several times over the years.  The color of the decals (SS) depended on the color of the car.  There were gold, red, orange, maybe some other decal colors.  Still have the 87 style decals from Phoenix grafix, had planned to use them if I ever repainted it.  My color was the stock dark maroon metallic, repainted the same color.  Very nice color, looked nearly black.  Close to "Black Cherry".

Yeah those Grand Nationals were awesome, actually faster than the Corvettes of the same year.  Only came in black.  And there was the limited edition GNX, only 547 were made.  They're $50,000 cars nowadays, if you can find one.

Here was my Monte SS, real SS. The rally stripes were removed when it was repainted dark maroon.  Those aren't the stock wheels, they came with the car.  I still have the stock Monte rally wheels sitting next to the Z. My head did that to the windshield from the driver's seat.  Probably lucky to walk away alive from that, just a broken collarbone, bruised rib, and cuts to the forehead.  And a broken heart haha.  I think the solid metal helped a lot, as some modern cars would've been in much worse shape.  Hit a concrete divider going 45 mph.   I loved that car, the bad thing is they attract the wrong kind of attention, lots of thugs like them, and they are stolen a lot.  Cops also profile people in them.  The Z is actually funner and seems to get better appreciation and attention on the roads.

wreck.jpg

The later ones (87-88) had a computer controlled carburetor, which was a pain.  I ended up removing all of the sensors and computer, since my Service Engine light was always on, which made the computer go into default mode which made it a dog.  Just used an Edelbrock carb and HEI non CC distributor, and plugged the holes left from the sensors.  Ran much better after that.  

Edited by ramsesosirus
  • Like 1