IGNORED

Bought # 4858

madkaw

22 hours ago, madkaw said:

Fortunately the PO’s didn’t do much else to the car. Cut off the lip on the drivers side rear quarter - just the drivers side?

Fender flare start?

I don't  know how you guys work in cold. It's 44 here in Orlando. Really zaps the motivation. 

Maybe those centerline wheels rubbed just on that side . They do have a negative offset . I’m going to run the wheel up into the well when I pull the spring and see if that’s the case . 

I have heat in my studio or I wouldn’t be out here :)

I am going to take a guess that this car was built for autocrossing judging on what you found so far.

Engine mods, flywheel, shocks, ST springs etc. But the main thing that makes me think this is the Centerline wheels.

Back in the day when I was heavy into it, all the fast guys liked that particular wheel as it was the lightest one at the time.

Check the steering knuckles for the Datsun Comp short quick steer ones. Those are keepers. Put stock ones on for resale.

Also check to see if it has a limited slip differential.

I think you are right Lumens , it all adds up. The diff was open - though solidly mounted .

The engine was the sneaky part . I didn’t race or solo cross at all ,so not familiar with the rules as far as mods. So it looks as if he ran a stock cam on a shaved head ,bigger valves , but punched the block out to 86mm- which no one would know unless it was cracked open . It had triple Weber’s and a header at one time . 

Kind of fun trying to put the puzzle together 

Edited by madkaw

10 hours ago, borini63 said:

Nice score Steve.....low Vin early Z. Like the centerline wheels. You are not keeping her? Good luck with it. 

If I had room I might consider keeping it - but I’m  Lucky enough that I already own a very nice Z. I also have another 1972 Z that I want to make a lemons racer with. So right now the plan is to just fix the car up and sell it for funds for my other Z‘s.