IGNORED

BBQ

Patcon

5 hours ago, Patcon said:

Alright so this is my first official smoke. Last week we really just grilled. This week is ribs. We were out of town yesterday and came home and prepped the meat last night.

A thin coat of olive oil and this rub on both sides

1tbsp Cumin

1tbsp Paprika

1tbsp granulated garlic

1tbsp granulated onion

1 tbsp chili powder

1 tbsp brown sugar

2 tbsp Kosher salt

1 tsp cayenne pepper

1 tsp black pepper

1 tsp white pepper

Mix it all up dry. Refrigerate over night. I didn't get them out early enough to get to room temperature. Started at 10 AM

20170709_102456[1].jpg20170709_102500[1].jpg

Made some mods to the cooker per you tube and Google

Clamps, silicone to seal it up and seal at the doors. Borrow a ThermoPro TP-08 from a friend

20170709_101511[1].jpg

You're a southern boy so are familiar with the saying "if you ain't got enough for everybody don't get it out" LOL

Just kidding, can't wait to see the after pictures. A pile of bones!

58 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

You're a southern boy so are familiar with the saying "if you ain't got enough for everybody don't get it out" LOL

Not familiar but I got enough...;)

I am about to pull off the last two racks...

• Like 1

It was an elementary school thing when you got caught chewing gum. 8^)

Here's my soon to be seared supper. I've learned something on marinating my beef, vinegar. Quarter chickens are  dry rub like you have. Can hardly wait to call my girl anf say "come get your meat". LOL

1499639058266.jpg

Edited by siteunseen

Looks good! Obviously the must've tasted okay, too.

I'm sure people have come to fisticuffs over this sort of thing, but I've had my best luck with ribs doing a shorter cook time (around 5-6 hours) at a moderate temp (225ish) to keep them from getting too dry. Play around and see what works for you. Worst case scenario: you play with a fire and drink beer for a day, then eat the failures.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, charliekwin said:

Looks good! Obviously the must've tasted okay, too.

I'm sure people have come to fisticuffs over this sort of thing, but I've had my best luck with ribs doing a shorter cook time (around 5-6 hours) at a moderate temp (225ish) to keep them from getting too dry. Play around and see what works for you. Worst case scenario: you play with a fire and drink beer for a day, then eat the failures.

I was cooking to temperature and the grill was really full. The one closest to the fire finished in 5 hours. I kept moving them towards the smoke box as they got done.

We are still experimenting with rubs and sauces. Want to come up with a home made sauce to avoid the high fructose corn syrup and preservatives...

That's exactly how it played out, beer, fire bug and eat the results. Not a failure but not a total success either

We will probably adjust the rub to take out the Cumin and the chili powder for starters. May just go with salt and pepper on the next meat

• Like 2