IGNORED

Windshield Sealant

Hardway

When installing a new windshield and gasket, which channel in the gasket should I apply sealant if any?  I have a new windshield and gasket from Precision that I plan on installing this weekend on my 240z.  I plan to document the install with lots of pictures to share with the community.

• Like 1

The only time I had one leak was a 56 ford pickup. The owner wanted to reuse the old (still pliable) gasket. I thought it might leak without sealant but gave it a try. It leaked. Finally got it sealed after multiple messy, frustrating attempts. If I ever had to seal another one, I'd pull the glass. New gasket and new glass "shouldn't" need sealant unless there's distortion in the body.

Thanks for all the replies!  Good to know as I was hoping to not have to use any sealant.  I am unsure if the gasket on the car is original, it is very old but the windshield has been replaced at some point.  I will do a separate post once I do everything this weekend.

I applied the thicker sealant in the channel that takes the pinch weld.

You can use a small long-nose bottle of the fluid stuff to place under the lip touching the glass after it is installed to finish the job.  

Better to be safe as a leak has to work through the dash then puddle on the floor and not evaporate before you usually notice it.

Hardway, is the new glass a PPG windshield?  I plan to replace mine soon with the precision gasket.   Did the hatch glass last year with OEM Nissan seal, the Nissan windshield gasket price is however, up there, and could not justify it at this time.

Looking forward to your results ...

No, the windshield is not a PPG windshield.  The one that is in the car is not one either.  I tried calling PPG three times, was on hold for minutes on end, never spoke to anyone.  I saw the prices on the Nissan seal, just too much for me right now.  If I was doing a true restoration I might consider it but for now, $55 shipped was the right price.  When Nissan starts making more restoration parts, hopefully the prices of consumables like these will come down a little.

• 3 weeks later...