IGNORED

78 280Z Alternator question

kutukutu1

Ok, SO i finally pulled my alternator and its the SI 2 terminal alternator. 

Here is my understanding.

The WR goes to the terminal lug, i understand that one

Terminal #1, i know thats switches 12V, but from the original harness, which wire should i tap into? the WR from the original voltage sensing in the schematic seems to be connected to the same wire that gets connected to battery on the original alternator, which would tell me thats not a switches 12V.

Terminal 2, i know which one is that wire, but i dont understand the connection in series and the resistor in parallel. Which other line are we talking about? i only have the L wire, which on the original schematic also connects to the voltage sensing.

thanks

I would just find the original 1978 S and L wires and make it work with those.  All alternators after about the mid-70's are the same at a basic level.  The more modern ones have added features, like extra sensing wires for the ECU, but the S and the L are common.  Find those two and you can make the SI work.

The L wire does not also connect to voltage sensing, on the Z diagram.

Edit - the L wire is the most important, because it runs through the Lamp in the voltmeter.  It will tell you when the alt is failing.  Worst case, find it from behind the dash and tap in to it.

Edited by Zed Head

Just now, Zed Head said:

I would just find the original 1978 S and L wires and make it work with those.  All alternators after about the mid-70's are the same at a basic level.  The more modern ones have added features, like extra sensing wires for the ECU, but the S and the L are common.  Find those two and you can make the SI work.

The L wire does not also connect to voltage sensing, on the Z diagram.

Ok, So S goes to #2 and L to #1. Ill find S in the harness.

From the schematic it looked like the L went into the S.

thanks.