IGNORED

Back again looking for advice on another 280z

beefpatty

23 minutes ago, 7tooZ said:

Beefpatty.
I hope you taken time to physically inspected some of these cars. My experience, driving and working on them for 20 years, is that you cannot believe these ads. When I bought my second one in 2012 I inspected about twenty 240s in Washington and Oregon and none were as I was expecting. Some don't even know they have lots of rust and some have been "updated to junk". If you haven't physically looks at some do yourself a favor and look and drive some. One day you will find yours and know it when you do. Good luck.

Don's iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

I've been able to look at two so far, the second being just today. You're right, the ads are much different than in person. These two threads I've posted have been enormously helpful as an aspiring Z owner. This is honestly one of the best communities I've seen. I'm hoping I'll eventually find a car that I just know is "the one".

Apache Junction?  2nd red flag.  The guy said he was going to drive the car 125 miles to Phoenix! But A.J. Is only 20 miles away at the most. Not liken' it one bit...

Keep looking in the West for generally less rust.  Can you join a local Zcar club?  Get contacts thru that may work for you too.  

Wait for a 240 is my advice. 

43 minutes ago, Rob1972 said:

Apache Junction?  2nd red flag.  The guy said he was going to drive the car 125 miles to Phoenix! But A.J. Is only 20 miles away at the most. Not liken' it one bit...

Keep looking in the West for generally less rust.  Can you join a local Zcar club?  Get contacts thru that may work for you too.  

Wait for a 240 is my advice. 

Thanks for all the help. I may pass on this one as well after more thought. Not sure yet. I think there's a club near me that has monthly meetings, might check them out.

Yeah, maybe waiting for a 240z is best. I looked at one today that is single owner, rebuilt floor and rocker panels and looked very good rust wise. Only problem was it wouldn't start. The engine would turn over, and for a second sounded like it would start with starter fluid (tank was empty), but no dice. I'd feel better about it if it ran out the gate but that, combined with his $9,500 OBO asking price has me thinking it might be too risky as a first time owner.

You might have mentioned it, but where are you doing your searching?  A few people here frequent the Bring-a-Trailer site, I think someone might have mentioned it in your other thread,  If you're looking nation-wide that seems like a good core to your searching.  Here's one that seems to fit your profile.

http://bringatrailer.com/2016/10/06/no-reserve-running-project-1973-datsun-240z/

Edit - except that it's so old that the eBay ad expired.  But still...

Edited by Zed Head

52 minutes ago, JSM said:

I thinks it's good for you to post like you are. It's hard not to get emotional and others will help keep you grounded. 

Yeah, I think in the future though I will just add my future finds to this thread, rather than create a new one every time.

41 minutes ago, Zed Head said:

You might have mentioned it, but where are you doing your searching?  A few people here frequent the Bring-a-Trailer site, I think someone might have mentioned it in your other thread,  If you're looking nation-wide that seems like a good core to your searching.  Here's one that seems to fit your profile.

http://bringatrailer.com/2016/10/06/no-reserve-running-project-1973-datsun-240z/

Edit - except that it's so old that the eBay ad expired.  But still...

Mostly Craigslist and eBay. I check Autotrader classic every now and then but it seems pretty stagnant. I'll have to add bringatrailer to my list. Thanks!

Yeah, I saw those, too! I had an alert for carsforsale, and like 5 different 240z's popped up as new listings on the same day. All of them are listed in Jacksonville, however, with the same phone number. I tried texting and calling that number but it wasn't a valid number. Then, I tried the dealership listed which looks like it's based out of New Jersey, and no one picked up there either. The cars look awesome, but something seems fishy. The yellow one had a winning bid on eBay two years ago for $11,200. This is that same car being sold now: https://www.carsforsale.com/vehicle/details/28590145

• Like 1