IGNORED

Fairlady 432 at Auction

gundee

Kats - could be a sign of positive vibes on the Japanese economy?  Of note, there were a few other strong prices at the auction - the C110 GTR fetched what I'd think is a leading price.  It's hard to discern condition through photos, so perhaps it was worth the price paid.  I've previously seen over-the-top Yen paid for cars which are bona fide unrestored pristine examples. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, xs10shl said:

Kats - could be a sign of positive vibes on the Japanese economy?  Of note, there were a few other strong prices at the auction - the C110 GTR fetched what I'd think is a leading price.  It's hard to discern condition through photos, so perhaps it was worth the price paid.  I've previously seen over-the-top Yen paid for cars which are bona fide unrestored pristine examples. 

Hi xs10shl , Japanese economy is getting better for someone , we have Tokyo Olympic Games this year , but most of people can’t feel our life is getting better economically.

Like you said , the GTR sold for over 30 million JPY , probably that could be the first time for the KPGC10 (two door GTR up to 1972) sold in that high .
This GTR too , some  parts are not correct ( the most obvious thing is the steel wheels borrowed from sedans ) for this car but appearance is really good, clean and paint job is fantastic. These points made this car over 30 million JPY, I think .

Kats

• Like 1

2 hours ago, kats said:

Like you said , the GTR sold for over 30 million JPY , probably that could be the first time for the KPGC10 (two door GTR up to 1972) sold in that high .

Just to clarify: Watanabe's C10 GTR might even be considered inexpensive and very well bought, assuming it's superb pedigree checks out (which likely makes it eligible for pretty much any historic 2000CC-class race worldwide). As far as the restored KPGC10 street car goes - IMHO 33 Million was expensive, but, as a data point, there was a super original KPGC10 with very low miles that went for similar pricing, maybe 5 years ago, in Japan as well. 

The KPGC110 was the car I was primarily referring to - I have not heard or seen one sell at the 45,000,000+ level that this example achieved, but I admittedly have not been paying attention in the last few years.  Perhaps interest has strengthened? Maybe this one ticked all the right boxes for the buyer. 

Edited by xs10shl
  • Like 2

19 hours ago, HS30-H said:

23-1.JPG

Imagine how much the 432-R would be worth if it was blessed by Mr K's signature?

PS: Looks like the Boomers have figured out how to "meme" hehe. Or are you Gen X? I probably shouldn't ask. :).

Waiting for the Jalopnik article to write about the "crazy" price paid for a "240z"...and all the LS swaps are better/faster comments on Facebook from the philistines. Can't wait.

Edited by Gav240z
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, kats said:

Hi xs10shl , Japanese economy is getting better for someone , we have Tokyo Olympic Games this year , but most of people can’t feel our life is getting better economically.

Seems to be happening in many Western Countries. Who would have thought that setting interest rates super low for so long would have such an adverse impact on everyone's living standards?

14 hours ago, kats said:

This GTR too , some  parts are not correct ( the most obvious thing is the steel wheels borrowed from sedans ) for this car but appearance is really good, clean and paint job is fantastic. These points made this car over 30 million JPY, I think .

I think related to my above comment that low interest rates are contributing to asset price inflation, that includes assets such as classic cars. GTRs of all shapes and sizes seem to be surging in value in the last few years. I think because of the North American 25 year rule opening up imports of R32, R33 (soon) and R34 GTRs (are being stored until eligible). I can't blame them, the GTRs were phenomenal cars and as you probably know Kats the R32 GTRs had a very successful racing history in Australia. I always liked them, but prices have gone nuts in the last few years. Nissan has started to remake the RB26 and parts for the 90s era Skylines.

Even my Nissan Stagea (260rs) seems to be going up in value. I think this has increased the value of earlier Skylines and interest also. As people look to the original cars. I've noted even the non GTRs (KGC10)s are now $100k+ AUD for a good replica. DR30's and R31's have been getting more interest also. The humble Datsun 240K (2 Door Coupes) are selling for more than S30Z's in Australia. Despite (IMHO) the Z's being better cars.

https://www.carsales.com.au/cars/details/1970-nissan-skyline-2000-gt-manual/SSE-AD-6323508/?Cr=1 ($150k asking price for C10 GTR replica).

Of course it's not just the GTRs that have been going up, my FD RX-7 has also trebled in value since 2010, NSX and Supra's have gone nuts too.

I think in part it's a demographic shift and the impact of movies like Fast and Furious franchises, low interest rates but also limited supply of certain cars and the analog feel of these older models which lack CANBUS nonsense that makes it hard for a backyard mechanic/hobbyist to tinker with them. The 90s was a Golden era of Japanese cars and I think the interest and price rise of the 90s era stuff has piqued interest in the earlier origin models.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Gav240z said:

PS: Looks like the Boomers have figured out how to "meme" hehe. Or are you Gen X? I probably shouldn't ask. :).

Mr Richard Hell (and his Voidoids) told me in 1977 that I belonged to The Blank Generation. But I can take it or leave it each time...

Hey. Never too old to meme. They are just captioned stills, after all.

About those "faster" comments: Yes, they'll keep coming. And my daily driver diseasel Audi - all two tonnes, heated leather, tow hitch and Bang and Olufsen of it - would probably show any 432-R the way around a race track too. But so what? Those 'my car would...' guys are missing the point so far that they aren't even on the same map. 

• Like 2

It is an odd cognitive dissonance I find, because if you mention a more expensive marque such as a Ferrari GTO. Suddenly nobody advocates sticking a modern V8 under the hood. It seems if something is relatively affordable it should be open slather, to chop up, modify and change from its original state rather than appreciate for what it is or was. Sadly.

• Like 1

Hi xs10shl , I missed understanding about it , I reviewed it , yes you were referring to KPGC110 , Ken & Mary GTR . Recently I have heard those cars  changed hands privately in 40-45 million JPY range . I have never been interested in that car , I don’t get it why the car is so expensive, yes I know it was only 197 produced but ... 
Dino 246 is in a same price range , I know it is so beautiful but why it is so expensive ?
2.4 litter six-cylinder  , two seater , rack and pinion , four independent suspensions , five speed , almost same as our car ! 
I wish my Z432 would be an R , then I would have been able to trade it with a Dino easily . Even I would have got change .

Kats

• Like 1

Hi Gavin , 

We are seeing a lot of R32 GTR are shipped to overseas everyday. On the other hand I have met some owners who wanted to sell their cars but not for overseas buyers , I can sympathize with what they are feeling. 

BTW , could the winning bidder be an overseas buyer because it was made by phone . Interesting!

Kats

• Like 1