IGNORED

Fairlady 432 at Auction

gundee

7 hours ago, Gav240z said:

Can you show me examples of the areas that should be more satin black? Was it a brushed black paint like the front radiator support area?

Basically the whole inside apart from the rear deck area. Under the seats, along the inside of the sills and the whole area behind the dash.

Spray painted, I believe.

DSCF1449 2014-05-10.JPG

Edited by HS30-H
added photo
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, SpeedRoo said:

Are these the 3 private race cars Kats?

Hi , the top one is yes , Mr . Terashima ‘s car .

And  the middle one and the bottom one is the same car ( PS30-00186) . Probably last year ? Mr. Katori changed its color from the bottom one to the middle one .

We used to see the bottom  “ No . 1” in some car magazines , we weren’t  sure what race it ran .  But recently we saw an article “ Racing on “ , it reports this car is the winner of Suzuka 1000km May 1970 , “No . 19 “ car. I think Mr. Katori changed its color to the winner car after he was convinced that. Then it was featured  “ Racing on “ . What made him to determine the car is the winner of the race ? Probably he did hard work to source the evidence of the racing footage .

The car was tuned at Omori ( now its engine is not original)  the driver was Mr. Nishino / Mr. Fujita , privately entry drivers .

The wheel “ No. 19 “  is Nissan race option magnesium wheel , not Watanabe wheel . 
This car has roll bar , while the auction car PS30-00289 doesn’t have it , I see no sign at the rear deck .

Kats

4B5722FA-F50A-46AD-B4AB-37B38591A445.jpeg

On 11/30/2019 at 2:52 AM, kats said:

I totally agree with you , Both engines are Nissan’s , even more Japan’s best engine. I always feel difficulties which one I should take for a ride today .

We should not mixed up with talking about engine and talking about particular car . We should compare Engine to engine, race car to race car . A car for sold to the public must be compared with a car like that . 

Talking about a car , as Alan always said , Z432 has the perfect sports package . No modification strictly needed . With my little experience, I can’t say Z432 is not a good car just only because of its small displacement, less torque, little heavier S20 engine . 
Z432 has lighter wheels , 5 speed , R192 4.444 limited slip diff with a rear stabilizer bar . 
Coil overs spring rates are just right , aluminum radiator helps reducing weight of engine room little bit , strong spark up to 10000 rpm is brought by transistor igniter system .  Stainless exhaust and dual pipes exhaust system too , all of these features are standard item . 

Datsun 240Z Europe model  ( especially Portugal model ) can be a good rival of Z432 I think . 

But thinking about  a car for a long distance journey or a daily commuter , an easy ride , Datsun 240Z ( and Japanese L20/L24 car ) is a car for everyone . When I take my 240Z ,  I don’t have to wait more than 5 minutes for the water temp coming up in a busy morning , or I don’t have to carry an oil can for every 1000km adding 1 litter . I don’t have to worry about crazy expensive gas . And the exhaust fumes are not welcomed my neighbors .

4 speed transmission with 3.35 doesn’t need busy work, almost like an automatic transmission when you in a 3rd gear .

All of these things make me feel “ I really love 
my 240Z ! “

Kats

I like the original Z432 as it is...  with the stock S20 engine. Same goes for the 240Z ( Export model ). Both have their own story. HP numbers from both stock engines only differ about 10 hp, but it's more like that the S20 Z has totally different engine and driving characteristics. They are both cool in their own ways. Same goes for the Toyota 2000GT with it's 2 litre twin cam engine..

The S30 for the Japanese market also seems are rare thing ? Cause it has the L20 engine and E30 head I believe ? How much of these are left ?

Edited by bartsscooterservice
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, kats said:

But recently we saw an article “ Racing on “ , it reports this car is the winner of Suzuka 1000km May 1970 , “No . 19 “ car. I think Mr. Katori changed its color to the winner car after he was convinced that. Then it was featured  “ Racing on “ . What made him to determine the car is the winner of the race ? Probably he did hard work to source the evidence of the racing footage .

The car was tuned at Omori ( now its engine is not original)  the driver was Mr. Nishino / Mr. Fujita , privately entry drivers .

The wheel “ No. 19 “  is Nissan race option magnesium wheel , not Watanabe wheel . 
This car has roll bar , while the auction car PS30-00289 doesn’t have it , I see no sign at the rear deck .

Kats

image.png

image.png

1970 All Japan Suzuka 1000km (May 23/24, 1970)
Car #19
Fairlady Z432R 167 laps Hiromi NISHINO / KOJI FUJITA  (1st)

15 hours ago, HS30-H said:

Basically the whole inside apart from the rear deck area. Under the seats, along the inside of the sills and the whole area behind the dash.

Spray painted, I believe.

Any idea why it was done? I just can't think of an advantage to doing it? I get the flat black bonnet to reduce glare, but inside the floors and under under dashboard etc..? Just not sure why they would bother?

5 hours ago, Gav240z said:

Any idea why it was done? I just can't think of an advantage to doing it? I get the flat black bonnet to reduce glare, but inside the floors and under under dashboard etc..? Just not sure why they would bother?

Hi Gavin , I just don’t know . Maybe to concentrate on driving . Thinking about Z432-R , no insulates thick pad on the fire wall , and if you cut the glove box half like Mr.Katori’s car , you will have bright orange in your site . To delete uneasy feeling , Z432-R has those black paint .

Here is a excerption from the race manual , you see the black paint “ Dashboard and front floor “ on the far right of the row .

This auction car PS30-00289 should have black paint , it was registered 04/1972 as a ( standard ) Z432-R , not for racing .

While Mr.Katori’s PS30-00186 was not registered when it was born , because this car was meant to be used as a race car .

PS30-00186 looks no black paint on the front floor , and under dashboard area . This could be a interesting point talking about the difference between race car and standard Z432-R . 
I think standard Z432-R is very accurate for the race manual which is describing Z432-R

specification .

Kats

5F32A696-6044-4892-89A3-33CED0FE4799.jpeg

• Like 2

Thanks Kats, that is interesting. I have to say I like seeing the same interior colour in a race car as the exterior. I see a lot of white interiors on race cars too, often so oil spills or other fluid leaks can be spotted easily (or at least that's the reason I'm told it's done). But this is just another small detail of the Z432-R I was not aware of.

On the topic of different trim level Z432-R's, this car (and I don't recall the chassis no. I'm afraid) really catches my eye. I love it's completely bare bones / raw look. NB: The straight gear stick and the Topy steel wheels are just begging to be changed to some kind of racing spec wheel, but I love it like this. I'd love to drive it around on the steelies, since it just has that weekend racer look.

In Australia Bathurst was a famous racing circuit and track because anyone could enter off the street. You could walk into a local dealer buy the hotted up version of whatever car it was you wanted to race and then go from the show room to the race track with it. Many did, and drove on steel wheels (but removed hubcaps). So it has that sort of appeal to me.

U00019680408_1_001.jpg

U00019680408_9_001.jpg

U00019680408_10_001.jpg

U00019680408_11_001.jpg

U00019680408_13_001.jpg

U00019680408_14_001.jpg

• Like 2

Hi Gavin , I am glad that you like standard, skinny wheel Z432-R .

I attached this picture car is what I call basic , plain , standard Z432-R  (there would be more proper word to call ) , unfortunately  not for sure the chassis number . 

Nissan sold this model for whom wants to do motor sports , and not intended for road legal . The race manual describes this configuration first , then describes how to modify for each part one by one .

Most of Z432-Rs what we see today are the car like this .And were at least when they were sold .  

Nissan began to sale this ( basic ) Z432-R as a  road legal car adding a windshield washer tank to pass the requirements. And some other modifications might be made .Probably customers might place orders to the dealer “ I want a heater , brake master vac , “ etc . We have seen one Z432-R had full interior trim just like a Z432 ! 

Those cars ( 20 cars or so, all of them 1969-1970 made ) were mostly sold in 1972-1973  , after Nissan works switched to L24 for track . We think that was a clearance sale of Z432-R .
Z432 was 1850000 yen , but one day Mr. Kubo ( legendary tuner) was told “ could you please buy a Z432-R for 600000 yen ? “  Mr. Kubo didn’t take it because he saw works race car is now using L24 . 

I think works race car is different from picture car . First of all , usually works Z432-R was red , not 918 orange  .
Courtesy Motor Magazine .

Kats

902E47CC-733A-45D4-AE7E-1BDB494334F0.jpeg

Edited by kats
  • Like 1

So , this auction car PS30-00289 has a later (1972 model ) speed meter. Normally this 1970 made car should have an early speed meter . Why ? Is this related this car sold and registered in 04/1972 ? A newer speed meter was released, so was it a choice of the customer ? 
PS30-00291 has also same thing , made in 1970 but sold in 05/1972 , it’s speed meter is 

1972 model ( there are colored arches , yellow starts from 100km/h , red starts from 200km/h ) . An early speed meter doesn’t have colored arches .

Or just they were replaced by some reason ? 

Kats

51718518-C93D-4F6C-848C-40A91F35D019.png