IGNORED

New seats and floor mats 240z advice

5 Star Rising

I have a early 71 240z that I'm restoring. Wanting to keep it some what original but having a hard time finding series 1 seats, floor mats and such. Just bought a set of 240z floor mats off the Internet that claimed to be a perfect fit for my 240z, when i got them they looked like a universal matching set of Autozone floor mats. They didn't fit right at all, going to return them.. Anyone know where I can get a perfect fitting set of floor mats that are long and go up part of the floor board firewall like the originals?

Seats: I'm torn whether to buy a set of series 1 seats and have them refoamed and covered but then I look at the price to do that and wonder if I should just go aftermarket. What do you guys think? I know it's all personal preference.  What about these seats anyone ever buy these and put them in your car?

https://www.carid.com/cipher/cpa3001-series-reclinable-steel-tubular-frame-suspension-seat.html?relationshipId=620272484&childId=95363008&gclid=CKL8pu6A3NECFYKJfgodH2cDTw

Buy a original set for the car and....don't use them!  haha... store e'm and use a good set of seats in your car. why?  Those seats that are original in the car are not so good.  Got myself a "Scheel" chair in my 240z. (Custom made chair) and that sits Pérfect!  Also i got a set of König seats  (German made)  for 240z.  They were used in rally's in de 1970's ..  saw them in yellow/black.  ive got them in red/black in new condition.. stored..

kamer 12-02-2012 009.JPG

Other than comfort and support, the big consideration  with non Datsun seats is fit.  Width is limited in the Z so take careful measurements.  I got BMW seats for my '71 Z and like them.  You're on your own for mating the seat  fore/aft sliders with aftermarket seats.

Dennis

Yeah I like the look of the original seats so I may keep looking  for a set. This car will not be a daily driver so I guess I can put up with the "not so comfortable" aspect. But I recently got the engine running great for the first time on this restoration and want to take the car for a test drive but I don't have any seats haha. Don't want to jump the gun and just buy anything so I can drive the car around the block. Longest wait ever to drive my Z.

Looks like I will be getting a 72 240  and another early 71 240 in a few weeks from some guy who has the cars parked in the forest rotting away. They definitely need work but have a lot of good parts. Series 1 hatch with glass, series 1 seats that need a full resto.. Did I mention both cars delivered for $500!.. Hope this deal goes through haha.

Oh and where do I get a set of floor carpet mats that actually fit the Z correctly? 

I recently put new foam on from one of the kits out there, that and the repro seat bottom (too lazy to do the top, besides it looks fine), anyway the new foam was thicker that the old, and the seat is fine for at least the 150mile trips I have been making. One thing if you get the repro cover you will need to get new foam or at least add to what is there, the seat cover is too big if you use the old stock foam.

• Like 1

I reworked my seats as part of the resto project a few years ago.  I found the OE foam to still be in good shape but decided to firm up all the contact surfaces with an extra layer of upholstery foam.  I went to a fabric store and bought 3 yards of 1/2" foam and then cut pieces for the side bolsters and middle of the seat back, the same for the side bolsters,thigh support and middle of the seat bottom.  I also added foam around the seat bottom skirts to help fill them out (pic).  The extra foam for the contact areas has made a significant improvement in comfort and support.

40A.jpg

41.jpg

11 hours ago, jfa.series1 said:

I reworked my seats as part of the resto project a few years ago.  I found the OE foam to still be in good shape but decided to firm up all the contact surfaces with an extra layer of upholstery foam.  I went to a fabric store and bought 3 yards of 1/2" foam and then cut pieces for the side bolsters and middle of the seat back, the same for the side bolsters,thigh support and middle of the seat bottom.  I also added foam around the seat bottom skirts to help fill them out (pic).  The extra foam for the contact areas has made a significant improvement in comfort and support.

40A.jpg

41.jpg

I did the same with the seats from my 5/70.  The original foam was not bad, but I needed to fill out the new seat covers.  I used various combinations of 1/2" and 1/4" foam, plus 1" batting (fabric stores have this -- it works well for filling in 'holes').  Where appropriate, make your cuts in the foam at an angle rather than as a straight (90-degrees to surface) cut.  If you cut it straight, the edge of the foam will show through the seat cover as a ridge.  A BIG pair of scissors helps.  Also, an ultra-sharp kitchen knife.

One other caution:  By adding foam in this way, you will be 'over-stuffing' the seat.  Done right, this adds a little extra 'bucket' to the bucket seat.  However, it can lead to puckering if you pull the buried tensioning flaps too tight.

• 1 month later...

27968714391_7c40697af0_b.jpg

Okay another option.  Get in touch with a good local upholstery shop.  I had the same question about recovering my seats or going with some Kameari seats. Besides the cost to fit the Kameari's their was still a question of if it would fit in the car correctly AND if I would fit in to the seats!  Lots to gamble on for over a 2000 dollar investment. I chose to redo the OEM seats, but took it up a notch. I skipped the factory vinyl kits and bought a synthetic leather seat.   I also decided to buy brand new foam while I was at it so the seats would ultra comfy.  I asked the shop who made the covers to put in extra vents in the seat back. This was my compromise to keeping it OEM fitment and look but with some added JDM touring car seat looks. I told myself I would not embellish the headrest, but I could not resist. As a bonus you get to custom request the stitching of the seat and logo. I requested silver just like my car.

Here is a pic inside the car. If you want a more deep bucket you can ask the shop to modify the foam installation to suit you. This is where experts come in and for a very reasonable amount of money, I had these seats redone to my liking. All in I think I spent 850 dollars on covers, foam and shop labor.

28390188545_b592bc6a4f_b.jpg

28390187975_c69e135fb8_b.jpg

• Like 1