IGNORED

L28 Stroker Build - I need your advice :-)

german240

The BHJ damper is MUCH cheaper if bought through Rebello.  I realise this seems counter-intuitive, but I think BHJ very much prefers for people to buy through their resellers, so they jack up the prices when selling directly.  I believe Rebello sells that damper for something in the region of $375.  Nice piece!

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 5 months later...

Update: Final assembly is going to start the upcoming weekend!

Are there any opinions concerning the removal of the oil filter bypass valve? Should I plug it? I'm going to run 20w-50 oil and a turbo oil pump.

Thanks guys!

PS: I bought the professional products damper (the cheaper one, the SFI spec is NLA). It is a tight fit; but it fits (needs light persuation with a soft mallet).

Edited by german240

I put a turbo oil pump on my 2.4 with only a spray bar, my gauge stays pegged on the right side.  I think it's too much for mine as it leaks around the oil pump a little.  If that bypass ball wasn't there I'd be replacing gaskets.  Hopefully this winter I'll be adding an oiler cam to go along with the spray bar.

Hey @siteunseen, oil pressure is not affected by the bypass valve at all. It only opens if the filter is clogged, pressure is adjusted by the oil pump spring. Anyways, I replaced the bypass valve by a brand new one.

I also removed the block expansion plugs. There was so much crud behind! Really worth removing it. Additionally, my F54 block has a cast webbing between the cylinders. I think there is some wrong info about this around!

DSCN3143.JPG

And driving in new core plugs with silicon sealant (yes, I repainted the block grey)

DSCN3159.JPG

Edited by german240

• 3 weeks later...

Update!

Block bored (89mm) & decked

DSCN3155.JPG

Crank fully balanced and polished

DSCN3190.JPG

DSCN3193.JPG

Piston assembly

DSCN3196.JPG

Forged H beam rods with ARP hardware

DSCN3211.JPG

DSCN3209.JPG

Crank end play check (0.11mm)

DSCN3187.JPG

Conrod bearing clearance check (plasti gage) - around 0,050mm. Conrod big eye side play is 0.17mm (not shown, measured using feeler blades). 

DSCN3203.JPG

Main bearing clearance 0,050mm

DSCN3181.JPG

New oil bypass valve (the spring is in fact significantly stiffer then the old one - $5 well invested)

DSCN3161.JPG

In order to clear the ARP bolts, the block required sligth notching (picture before). On cyl 5 the bolts even touched the wall!

DSCN3214.JPG

DSCN3216.JPG

DSCN3222.JPG

Finally, there's around 1mm clearance - that should work. 

Bottom end almost ready!

DSCN3225.JPG

DSCN3226.JPG

Edited by german240
  • Like 2