IGNORED

2 4 0 Z Uh Oh Project

disepyon

5 hours ago, wheee! said:

Words fail me...

I know a lot of words to come up with, such as need more practice, could of done that or this, should of done this or that, hehe.

4 hours ago, Captain Obvious said:

Incredible.

You are working on the wrong kind of car. I know this isn't the "day job", but you should consider changing focus to doing metal restoration work on Ferraris or Maseratis. Something with a higher price tag than old Datsuns. There are people out there willing to pay for that level of work.

Haha, its actually a great car to build up some skills and get practice.  Give me a handful more projects and tons of years more experience and maybe ill be ready to tackle on priceless antiques and high end cars.

• Like 1

Haha, its actually a great car to build up some skills and get practice.  Give me a handful more projects and tons of years more experience and maybe ill be ready to tackle on priceless antiques and high end cars.

You underestimate yourself but in the overall picture, you have a great attitude. Wish you were closer.... I'd be a fly on your wall any day!
  • Like 1

I can't wait to finish my shop to start playing with sheet metal. I appreciate your effort to document so thoroughly these processes. I used to post up my projects all the time , so I know it takes effort to do this . I have a MILLER 210 that's needing to be used and my TIG skills needing to be increased. I love working sheet metal and doing fab work, but have lots to learn.
Thanks for your contribution to the Z community

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

7 hours ago, madkaw said:

I can't wait to finish my shop to start playing with sheet metal. I appreciate your effort to document so thoroughly these processes. I used to post up my projects all the time , so I know it takes effort to do this . I have a MILLER 210 that's needing to be used and my TIG skills needing to be increased. I love working sheet metal and doing fab work, but have lots to learn.
Thanks for your contribution to the Z community

Sent from my iPhone using Classic Zcar Club mobile

Thanks, hope this thread helps you out.  I too would love to have a bigger area to work, but as of now limited to the three car garage.  For me, the learning process is a pain and a bit frustrating, but once you start getting the hang of things then the fun starts.

3 hours ago, Patcon said:

Stellar work, as always. You already have the skills to work on some really valuable cars... consider it...

Thanks Patcon.

For those of you that want a more in depth look at finishing your welds on sheet metal, jhnarial over on weldingweb form has a quick little write up. Kind of an old thread, but its similar to what I do. http://weldingweb.com/showthread.php?61786-Metal-finishing-your-welds

As he mentioned in his thread, it really is a pain staking process to get a seamless invisible weld in the end.  If I had spent more time getting my fitment better, then maybe my weld/seam would blend in a lot better in some areas, then again this Z is no show car, hehe. However great practice in case you do weld on aluminum sheet and want to polish finish it, or even on chromed parts.

At last, both rear panels welded in. Bout time!

Did the passenger side this weekend. Pretty much the same process as I did the Drive side, except this time I used a shrinking disc on the Passenger side in some areas to lower the high spots, still has some wavy in it but not as bad as the driver side. 

I took a crap load of pictures from all angles for you guys to see based on the lighting. Some far and some close shots. The really close shots, you will see how uneven and wavy the welding zone is.  I probably can get some more waves out with the shrinking disc and hammer and dolly the welds in some areas, but on a car like this, I am satisfied, not excited, but pleased enough to move on. Just take what I did and learn from it for the next project. I still need to work on my welding, as in laying the weld bead. Still trying to get the welding part figured out.  Having gaps in the fitment doesnt help, so getting the fitment right may help me out more. Also I think I am still laying to much filler in the weld, though with good Butt Fitment, I wouldnt need much filler, which goes back to having good fitment from the start. Also on my list to buy are Body Filers to shave down the welds, like block sanding bondo.  Starting to think now the angle sanding grinder I have is a no no if I want to achieve the invisible weld/smooth transitions, hehe. Another thing is the base metal seems to cave in on its self at the toe/edge of the weld.  I am gonna have to work on how to eliminate that aswell. Its not under cut if thats what your thinking. I may have to play around with the pulser feature on my welder, could be I am spending too much time in the act of welding which means too much heat that is not needed. Also I wish I had done a better job on the profile of the crease. The dies I used were to sharp, needed a little bit of a radius to better match the original crease profile. 

Enjoy!

IMG_0001.JPGIMG_0005.JPGIMG_0006.JPGIMG_0007.JPGIMG_0010.JPGIMG_0012.JPGIMG_0015.JPGIMG_0016.JPGIMG_0017.JPGIMG_0018.JPGIMG_0020.JPGIMG_0022.JPGIMG_0023.JPGIMG_0002.JPGIMG_0003.JPGIMG_0005.JPGIMG_0007.JPGIMG_0008.JPGIMG_0009.JPGIMG_0010.JPGIMG_0013.JPGIMG_0014.JPGIMG_0017.JPGIMG_0018.JPGIMG_0021.JPGIMG_0022.JPGIMG_0023.JPGIMG_0024.JPGIMG_0025.JPGIMG_0026.JPGIMG_0027.JPGIMG_0028.JPGIMG_0029.JPGIMG_0032.JPGIMG_0033.JPGIMG_0035.JPGIMG_0036.JPGIMG_0037.JPGIMG_0038.JPG

Well Now its time to get the rear side markers shaved and the gas door shaved. Then get the flares mounted, panels trimmed and inner fender well made. Just never ends... Stay Tuned!

Edited by disepyon
  • Like 3