IGNORED

I've come to a road block. Idle/BCDD issues

redfairladyzee

So this morning I woke up determined to find the bolt I'd misplaced, and in doing so, I'd hopefully find some answers to my idle issues. I believe I found both. For starters, here's the vacuum line to the power brake booster, once again blocked off as it was when I purchased the car. (I found the bolt:))

Photo Sep 25, 9 46 56 AM.jpg

With crossed fingers, I then went into the car and turned the key to the now hopefully better idling car. This is what resulted.

Photo Sep 25, 9 48 28 AM.jpg

It's idling pretty good now, nowhere near the 500rpms I was getting before, and most importantly, the car did not shut off, nor did I hear a vacuum leak after turning the car off. I think it's pretty safe to say that I'll need to look into replacing or fixing my power brake booster. Thanks to everyone for your suggestions, knowledge, and for my restored idle. Next time I post it will hopefully be about a steady idle without the need of the bolt, and rather, one that's due to a well functioning brake booster.

Thank you,

-Oscar

• Like 1

Awesome! Just remember that now you're driving around with rock hard brakes. They work, but could be a problem in a panic situation,

I got my rebuilt booster from Rock Auto, and I didn't check stock, but I would be surprised if the one I got was their last one. I would assume they have more. But if I were going through it again, I think I would pay a little extra at a brick-n-mortar local store for the ability to open the box and see the booster before I paid for it.

Out of curiosity... You bought the car and it came to you with the booster blocked off with that bolt, right? Didn't the brakes feel a little firm to you? Or since you had never driven one before, you thought they were supposed to feel like that?

• Like 1

Exactly right, CO! Since I'd never driven a car older than '97, I guess I just assumed the brake feel was normal to the older car. I do remember telling the previous owner after the test drive, that the brakes were going to take some getting used to. :facepalm:but he did not mention the bad booster, and I didn't notice the blocked off line, so that was the extent of it.

Rock hard brakes, is definitely spot on! I'm glad to learn that I'll have a softer pedal to look forward to, and I'm sure I'll appreciate the booster so much more after experiencing the work out that is braking without one. I'll have to start looking for a booster soon. I just bought some pricey text books for school, so maybe I won't get one right away. But it's definitely on the list after I get a few more work weeks in. Thanks for the recommendation, I'll start my search local then. I know from time to time, part-out z's come up in my area, so maybe I'll luck out and find a functioning used one.

That's what I was suspecting. It comes down to expectations... You had none, so the hard pedal was "normal".

I would fix the system up as soon as you can afford though. And after what I've seen with the rebuilt units, I'd be comfortable running a used booster as long as it has never inhaled brake fluid from a failed master cylinder. As Patcon mentioned above, that's probably the most common cause of a failed booster.

pffffft... Never driven anything older than 97.  I've not yet owned anything NEWER than 99. Ever!! Even my kids car is seven years newer than mine.  :)

Man... I gotta get out more. :alien:

• Like 1

Not at all! You and your kids definitely have the right idea. Waaaay too much technology in the newer cars, too distracting in my opinion. My dad just bought a 2016, and he has no use for half the technology in there since he doesn't own a smartphone haha 

Edited by redfairladyzee