IGNORED

Fun Parts and Identification Help Needed for HLS30-00249

240260280z

Well, unless I'm mistaken, that's a part you won't see very often because one of the parts it is made for has been replaced also.  In all probability, you don't have that part either and the replacement doesn't fit that rubber grommet.  No need to send it to 240Zrubbers because it is already reproduced.  $40  You say it has no through-holes?  What size is it?  Take a picture of it with something that will show us size and scale.

So let me ask you.  The stuff 240Zrubbers sells is pretty expensive.  Are you ready to spend that kind of money on a "proper" restoration?

The S30 type Datsun was thoroughly tested and developed before any cars were manufactured and sold.  It certainly was consistently developed and improved, over a number of years, but it would be inappropriate to say that "prototype" parts were initially used because the "production" components weren't delivered in time.  What came on the early cars is what was intended.

A lot of people claim a lot of things, but I have found over the years that if you haven't researched, if you haven't read everything you can get your hands on, if you don't speak Japanese (or know someone who does), you don't really know a lot about these cars.  These are not American cars built exclusively for the American market (like many, many claim and I have heard some whoppers); these cars are Japanese imports.

15 hours ago, 26th-Z said:

Well, unless I'm mistaken, that's a part you won't see very often because one of the parts it is made for has been replaced also.  In all probability, you don't have that part either and the replacement doesn't fit that rubber grommet.  No need to send it to 240Zrubbers because it is already reproduced.  $40  You say it has no through-holes?  What size is it?  Take a picture of it with something that will show us size and scale.

No I don't think it is the two hole grommet.  It has no holes and does not have a lip to cover the inside and outside of the fire wall. I'll take pictures shortly just to be sure.

There was a merc part mixed in the pile as well as a B pillar emblem for a vent so not all the parts are from HLS30-000249.

2 hole grommet.jpg

Here is the 2 hole on HLS30-00249.  Well preserved under a lather of grease and graphite.  This car is minty-mint once the crud is wiped off.

15 hours ago, 26th-Z said:

So let me ask you.  The stuff 240Zrubbers sells is pretty expensive.  Are you ready to spend that kind of money on a "proper" restoration?

Sort of a rude question but yes I am in this up to my neck and going deeper. Maybe I am a billionaire?

For the moment I am just trying to collect all the right parts.  I have a 72 that I plan to restore first.

The S30 type Datsun was thoroughly tested and developed before any cars were manufactured and sold.  It certainly was consistently developed and improved, over a number of years, but it would be inappropriate to say that "prototype" parts were initially used because the "production" components weren't delivered in time.  What came on the early cars is what was intended.

A lot of people claim a lot of things, but I have found over the years that if you haven't researched, if you haven't read everything you can get your hands on, if you don't speak Japanese (or know someone who does), you don't really know a lot about these cars.  These are not American cars built exclusively for the American market (like many, many claim and I have heard some whoppers); these cars are Japanese imports.

HS30-H has educated us all on this and has made it clear.  I am in agreement with both of you on this.

13 minutes ago, 240dkw said:

Dual points are for an Auto, I think this is what a early orig water pump looks like.

IMGP1030.jpg

Thanks!  That looks unforgettable like something from a spaceship! Now I have to hunt.

I guess the distributor is not original then. I'll have to dig into the Zbarn for soemthing circa 69. btw I still have that chrome ring.... just been lazy and also back burner-ed.

plateme.jpg