IGNORED

Wanted: Carpets or Rubber Floor Mats for 1969 240z

240260280z

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 8:25 AM, Namerow said:

There was a good discussion here recently about sources for authentic jute (The Roadster Factory... http://trf.zeni.net/webcatalog/specials9.35/38.php?s_wt=1680&s_ht=1050 ) and OE-matching early-style carpets.  Can't remember the carpet mftr's name (I think it was brought up by Jim Arnett).  Do a search on 'Careless'.

My loop-style carpet and seat covers came from Seatz, at the time they were still selling direct but no more.  I'm not sure who is carrying their products now but a contact to them might provide that info.  The "Where to Buy" button on their website has no content.

http://www.seatzmfg.com/seatz/index.htm

On August 11, 2016 at 4:53 PM, Blue said:

Need Original Carpets, Jute, Rubber Floor Mats  Etc.

Are you looking for original NOS or used?  There are several aftermarket kits but that won't help if you are looking for the real deal (if you can still find a set).  

• Like 1

I had to do some serious digging to find the correspondence with Chester & Harod.  Back to an old computer and search through the e-mails.  Here is what was written in 2007:

From Chester & Harod Auto Carpet Manufacturing (edited for grammar and speeling)

Hi.

We copied the rubber mats for our pattern but they had 5 prototype demos and they were all different floor.  When they (decided) on the one that they would produce, they put a jack behind the passenger seat with a cut out on the rear mat for it & we made 1800 mats that we had to take back & make that cut out for the jack.

Those rudder mats is what they (were) going to use until they saw our carpet.  We can make rubber mats but carpet comes with padding.  We can make wool carpet if you (want) it'.

Hi

We have the original pattern.  The original was loop.

We made carpet for the first 1970 Z (1800 cars) that (were) shipped to the U. S. A.

We can make the carpet any way and out of any carpet you (want).

Kats posted pictures of the insulation he bought for his blue 240Z.  You will find his complete photographs in the archives.  That's what it (NOS) is supposed to look like.  I have some pictures from MikeB also.  His early cars show faded out stitching from original.  Finally, the edge stitching, loop detail and snap fitting from the new replacement carpeting.  This is as close as you are going to get to NOS.  I also want to mention that the early cars did not have a hook fitting welded to the floor under the front of the seat for holding the the front pieces in place.  It was a Velcro pad glued to the floor.  You can see the cutouts in the pad in Kats' car.

Floor-Insulation4.jpg

1969-240Z_Carpet-027.jpg

CH_Carpet-010.jpg

• Like 2

Thanks 26th! That clearly states what happened in 69/70 in the USA. I'll order from C&H.  

I will also need the rubber so I'll keep looking for that as the car is probably Canadian (and may have arrived with rubber as you mentioned above).  I have to visit with the owners (2 before me) in Montreal the next time I am there to find out the history.

FYI Just got 1969 hubcaps so #249 is coming along. Fortunately it came with most of the original parts including the front valence corners (the centre piece is behind the chin spoiler) (Anyone need a chin spoiler?)

Thanks for your help!!

front-side.jpg

On ‎8‎/‎12‎/‎2016 at 0:26 PM, Careless said:

I think most 1969 cars did not have carpets, they had rubber floor mats. I have never actually SEEN a car so equipped. It's one of those things that I hear about but never had the chance to see. I would like to find one in person and perhaps make templates and find the same material. I'm sure the Jute templates are different from the later fully carpeted models as well.

The jute I pulled from an very early 69 car was essentially goo and fibre by the time it came out. It was rather oily feeling and crumbly. Perhaps too much glue used from factory. As I recall, I only pulled jute from behind the seats and the transmission tunnel under the vinyl.

I paid for samples from the trf.zeni - but they are not completely natural Jute fibre even though they say it is. It's semi-synthetic. It's OK. I think most would be pleased with it. I wasn't, though. So far, I've contacted 6 different places and received samples... None fit the bill. I have another I'm looking into. At some point I will CAD draw the templates and or cut them manually and offer them for sale if the demand is there considering the amount of unpaid hours I've burned on this- but it's mildly entertaining and I'm making good contacts for future reference. I know where to get BMW and Volkswagen Jute now. LOL.

Please believe me when I say the longest portion of this particular restoration has been battling with this Jute stuff to get it perfect. Even the firewall padding jute is different. It's surely a different asbestos type fluffy material. I probably shouldn't have some in a bag so close to my bedside, but I occasionally take a look at it when searching for stuff.

The next car will go swiftly since I'll have that all hammered out.

Is there any interest in pre-cut factory shaped Jute kits?

I have a 1971 and I'll gladly purchase  factory style jute kit.

thanks

13 hours ago, Hank240 said:

I have a 1971 and I'll gladly purchase  factory style jute kit.

thanks

still trying to find the two front floor jute pieces that go under the feet. the ones i have access to are torn at the ends, otherwise unusable. I may be able to guesstimate end length, based on carpet length.

will see what i can do. won't happen for a while.