IGNORED

Wanted: Carpets or Rubber Floor Mats for 1969 240z

240260280z

13 hours ago, Blue said:

Need Original Carpets, Jute Etc.

There was a good discussion here recently about sources for authentic jute (The Roadster Factory... http://trf.zeni.net/webcatalog/specials9.35/38.php?s_wt=1680&s_ht=1050 ) and OE-matching early-style carpets.  Can't remember the carpet mftr's name (I think it was brought up by Jim Arnett).  Do a search on 'Careless'.

I think most 1969 cars did not have carpets, they had rubber floor mats. I have never actually SEEN a car so equipped. It's one of those things that I hear about but never had the chance to see. I would like to find one in person and perhaps make templates and find the same material. I'm sure the Jute templates are different from the later fully carpeted models as well.

The jute I pulled from an very early 69 car was essentially goo and fibre by the time it came out. It was rather oily feeling and crumbly. Perhaps too much glue used from factory. As I recall, I only pulled jute from behind the seats and the transmission tunnel under the vinyl.

I paid for samples from the trf.zeni - but they are not completely natural Jute fibre even though they say it is. It's semi-synthetic. It's OK. I think most would be pleased with it. I wasn't, though. So far, I've contacted 6 different places and received samples... None fit the bill. I have another I'm looking into. At some point I will CAD draw the templates and or cut them manually and offer them for sale if the demand is there considering the amount of unpaid hours I've burned on this- but it's mildly entertaining and I'm making good contacts for future reference. I know where to get BMW and Volkswagen Jute now. LOL.

Please believe me when I say the longest portion of this particular restoration has been battling with this Jute stuff to get it perfect. Even the firewall padding jute is different. It's surely a different asbestos type fluffy material. I probably shouldn't have some in a bag so close to my bedside, but I occasionally take a look at it when searching for stuff.

The next car will go swiftly since I'll have that all hammered out.

Is there any interest in pre-cut factory shaped Jute kits?

Edited by Careless

9 hours ago, Careless said:

I think most 1969 cars did not have carpets, they had rubber floor mats. I have never actually SEEN a car so equipped. It's one of those things that I hear about but never had the chance to see. I would like to find one in person and perhaps make templates and find the same material. I'm sure the Jute templates are different from the later fully carpeted models as well.

The jute I pulled from an very early 69 car was essentially goo and fibre by the time it came out. It was rather oily feeling and crumbly. Perhaps too much glue used from factory. As I recall, I only pulled jute from behind the seats and the transmission tunnel under the vinyl.

I paid for samples from the trf.zeni - but they are not completely natural Jute fibre even though they say it is. It's semi-synthetic. It's OK. I think most would be pleased with it. I wasn't, though. So far, I've contacted 6 different places and received samples... None fit the bill. I have another I'm looking into. At some point I will CAD draw the templates and or cut them manually and offer them for sale if the demand is there considering the amount of unpaid hours I've burned on this- but it's mildly entertaining and I'm making good contacts for future reference. I know where to get BMW and Volkswagen Jute now. LOL.

Please believe me when I say the longest portion of this particular restoration has been battling with this Jute stuff to get it perfect. Even the firewall padding jute is different. It's surely a different asbestos type fluffy material. I probably shouldn't have some in a bag so close to my bedside, but I occasionally take a look at it when searching for stuff.

The next car will go swiftly since I'll have that all hammered out.

Is there any interest in pre-cut factory shaped Jute kits?

IIRC, there was a vendor in Victoria, BC who offered Brit-style jute by the yard.  Knowing the Brti car community on the lower Island, I don't think they'd tolerate anything that wasn't absolutely 'pucka'.  Maybe worth investigating.  Alternatively, just 'go to the well':  Britain.  That was Nissan's inspiration for a lot of things in the early days ('My Fair Lady')..

4 hours ago, Blue said:

Thanks.  I need the rubber stuff as well as the jute. I'll ring C&H and see what they can do.

Jim @ Chester & Herrod made a carpet set for me, and it was really well made. It's for #1606. Essentially identical to the one in the 1971, save for some small differences that he said were on the 1970 that he gave me the option of going with and changing at a later date.

Though, he will inform you that he can make the carpet to the 1970 style- but will tell you that the car didn't come with a carpet. It was just thin rubber weather mat material that was cut to shape. Perhaps the same shape as the carpets. I am not 100% sure.

Your 1969 Z should also not have any sound deadening in the cargo area, correct?

Edited by Careless

19 minutes ago, Namerow said:

IIRC, there was a vendor in Victoria, BC who offered Brit-style jute by the yard.  Knowing the Brti car community on the lower Island, I don't think they'd tolerate anything that wasn't absolutely 'pucka'.  Maybe worth investigating.  Alternatively, just 'go to the well':  Britain.  That was Nissan's inspiration for a lot of things in the early days ('My Fair Lady')..

Tried them folks. Their phones are down all the time (both their US line and their BC line), and I'm pretty sure his stuff is identical to the roadster factory. He described to me on the phone that it had bright flecks, and it also wasn't that thick either. 1/4 inch thickness max. Needs to be minimum of 10, but closer to 1/2 inch is ideal. And I'm almost positive he only had Hardura available, which is not what we need.

got about 3 more options that I know of... then I gotta start begging suppliers to look passed Minimum order Quantity of 40'FCL. translation: 40 foot Full Container Load... anyone else interested in jute padding for at least 10 240Z's? You can buy 9 sets, and the 10th one is free. LOL

Edited by Careless

Some Pics I found of Rubber Floor Thingies

post-3193-14150793206615.jpg

Figure 1.  Rubber Floor Thingy Corner

post-2116-14150793217363.jpg

Figure 2.  Rubber Floor Thingy Location (Technical Drawing)

post-25147-14150819516764.jpg

Figure 3.  Two Rubber Floor Thingies.

post-25147-14150819517111.jpg

Figure 4.  Rubber Floor Thingies (Reverse Side)

Vin48_013.jpg

Figure 5.  Rubber Floor Thingies (In Situ)

post-4148-14150793214946.jpg

Figure 5.  Rubber Floor Thingy

post-4148-14150793215337.jpg

Figure 6.  Rubber Floor Thingy (Closeup)

post-5587-14150793883684.jpg

Figure 7.  Rubber Floor Thingy Location (Technical Drawing)

Ok, I have some time to write about this subject.

The very early imported cars (HLS30U, HLS30UV, and probably the Canada HLS30UN) arrived in rubber mat flooring spec, similar to the base standard S30 specification for domestic models.  From what I understand, Chester and Harod supplied carpeting to port-of-entry service and distribution because Datsun USA chose to sell the cars with carpeting and I don't know why they didn't come from Japan that way.  The S30-S Fairlady ZL came with carpeting.  In the case of my cars, carpeting was most probably installed at the dealer along with hubcaps and other items shipped with the car in bags and boxes.  The door panels and dogleg panels were typically shipped covered in a light "visqueen" clear plastic which was removed at the dealer.  Seat belts came covered in a plastic bag.  My original bill of sale lists carpets as standard specification.

In 2007, a couple of guys with very low VINs bought some sixteen carpet sets at one time for their cars.  I have two sets.  I also have most of the original rubber mat.  The picture of the mat with the lens cap is mine.  The pictures of the foot well mats are correct.  Notice the snap fittings for the firewall and the Velcro tabs for under the seats.  The Chester and Herod carpets come that way.  We discussed the "rubberized' clear backing to the loop weave when we bought the sets and decided that we wanted the backing for durability purposes.  And that is what you see in another one of the pictures above.  My sets came with cutouts for the luggage strap hardware on the rear deck carpet.  I seem to recall some sort of edge binding conversation when the sixteen sets were ordered and that it was duplicated from somebody's "original" set.

I'm not pleased with the fiber insulation mat that I got.  It is not anywhere close to the photos I have of stock insulation.  But frankly, if you don't lift up the carpeting, no one will ever see it.

Let me know if you find a source to replicate the original rubber floor mats.  I would be in for two sets.

FloormatLabel.JPG

Blue,

I saw where you posted on the thread; "Loop Pile Carpet..." and wanted to thank you for that stroll down memory lane.  Perhaps I'm getting a slight off-topic by mentioning the comments HS30-H made and Arne's rebuttal.  What I wrote here previously considers the comments from that thread.  In the other thread, there is a comment about the initial introduction events in the fall of 1969 and the dealer comments which forced the inclusion of carpeting for North American imports.  That's entirely plausible.