IGNORED

Speedometer cable grommet (@ trans)

DaveR

On 6/17/2016 at 8:27 AM, siteunseen said:

So where's the seal I bought go?  In the cable end or the speedo cog?  I've read where a guy put in a seal like I bought and it still leaked a little.  He wrapped the threads with teflon tape and stopped it.  Just curious, I'll see when I get under there.  Thanks again for those numbers.

Seems like by putting teflon tape there he just redirected whatever oil was leaking to stay in the speedo cable itself.

I picked up some rubber washers today at HomeDepot. (in the plumbing/sink repair section) Believe the one i used was labeled a 1/2" washer, with a 3/4" OD and 3/16" ID.  The smaller ID fit very snug, and I believe I have it seated differently than the original grommet.

Fk9Ip7T.png

Here is where my washer sits. I think there is still enough engagement with the spinning gear that it shouldn't be a problem... but we will see. It fit so well at that point, i didn't want to try to force it over the next "hump" There seemed like the spring shaft was compressed enough that the keyway shouldn't pop out... but i suppose if i had popped the washer over that hump it would have helped to hold that in as well.

Edited by DaveR
  • Like 1

On 17-6-2016 at 2:27 PM, siteunseen said:

So where's the seal I bought go?  In the cable end or the speedo cog?  I've read where a guy put in a seal like I bought and it still leaked a little.  He wrapped the threads with teflon tape and stopped it.  Just curious, I'll see when I get under there.  Thanks again for those numbers.

I am trying to figure out what he stopped leaking with teflon tape on the thread. Maybe his cable was still full of oil and slowly leaking back out. The tape stopped that from leaking. He probably didn't clean the cable, while he was doing the seals.

A little bit of trivia: When I ordered the o-rings they quoted two parts numbers for the speedo and striking rod, but when I measured them on a o-ring cone, I came up with the same size. There is a photo of them in the "Leaky transmission" link.

My rubber hat washer is long gone. I think the PO left it out when he installed the close ratio. I cut a ring out of 2mm NBR sheet with some hole punches. Its main purpose is to keep dust, grime and water from getting in. It probably would stop oil leaking if the outer cable was in good condition, but that is not its intended purpose. And like chickman said, only available with a new "genuine" inner cable and the better aftermarket units.

• Like 1

Chas I think you're right about the cable being full of tranny fluid.  I remember a comment where a guy said he thought it was a bee sting on his ankle at first, then realized it was dripping from under the dash.  The fluid had traveled up the cable that far.  

Mine is a recent 4 speed to a 5 speed swap so I'm hoping the round oil seal in the pinion gear housing will fix it.  I still haven't done mine, spent Saturday with my Dad and half of today.  He asked me to go to Church this morning. :o

26 minutes ago, siteunseen said:

I still haven't done mine, spent Saturday with my Dad and half of today.  He asked me to go to Church this morning. :o

Good move Cliff, If I had that choice I would do the same. Can't turn back time.

• Like 3

I got the speedo connection leak stopped.  After doing what I did I took it for a short blast around my neighborhood, then put clean newspapers under there and they were spotless this morning.  Yaaay!

New oil seal in the pinion gear housing and an oring on the outside of the housing.  My rubber top hat looking washer was still in good shape,amazingly.

There is a groove that oil seal seats into too, didn't realize that at first.  Soaked it in lacquer thinner overnight then used a wire brush on my Dremel to get down inside and clean it out then I used a deep well socket to drive it down.

DSC01492.JPG

DSC01494.JPG

• Like 1