IGNORED

Speedometer cable grommet (@ trans)

DaveR

So i'm troubleshooting a leak and will be replacing the o-rings on the speed gear and housing although at this point they are probably fine. But I've discovered the grommet on my cable is toast where it mates to the part at the trans.  Anyone know how to go about replacing this?  I can't seem to find it for sale anywhere. I'd prefer not to buy a new cable assembly if I can help it. I believe the parts diagram is here:

http://www.carpartsmanual.com/datsun/Z-1969-1978/electrical/meters  and possibly the part is     24250-89943 or     25051-N4500  not sure.

Either way, it appears hard to find now... but I'm not sure what kind of place might have one I can buy to replace it.   (the top hat looking piece)

Speedocable005Large.jpg

Speedocable006Large.jpg

Thanks all

A little more digging leads me to believe it is in fact:  24250-89943

Seems like a lot of retailers don't stock it, and there is some confusion about which part they say replaces it.  Seems the replacement part is supposed to be:     24253-E4100  but internet seems to think this is the grommet for the firewall, and not the one at the transmission connection point.

Unfortunately the site you linked points to the replacement part as well, so I am a bit curious as to what i will get. They also have a silly minimum shipping charge ($10) and i don't need much else at this time to justify throwing this part in there with the order to try it out.

I sure hope yours is what a bad one looks like.  I just bought this one a week ago for $3.50 from my local dealership.  It took a few days to get there from the DC in Irving Texas.  The oring on the body, they wanted me to buy a pack of 10 so I had them send it back and I'll just get one from a hardware store.  I'm planning on doing the swap this weekend and can let you know for sure.

Thanks  @Chickenman for the part number, he knew them right off, I didn't even have to look.  :D

https://www.google.com/search?q=32709-14600&rlz=1C1BOFA_enUS494US494&espv=2&biw=1280&bih=620&source=lnms&tbm=isch&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjZgvW0-a7NAhXEKWMKHRbKBDIQ_AUICCgD#imgrc=_

DSC01487.JPG

10 hours ago, DaveR said:

A little more digging leads me to believe it is in fact:  24250-89943

Seems like a lot of retailers don't stock it, and there is some confusion about which part they say replaces it.  Seems the replacement part is supposed to be:     24253-E4100  but internet seems to think this is the grommet for the firewall, and not the one at the transmission connection point.

Unfortunately the site you linked points to the replacement part as well, so I am a bit curious as to what i will get. They also have a silly minimum shipping charge ($10) and i don't need much else at this time to justify throwing this part in there with the order to try it out.

Unfortunately the Part numbers you quoted are in fact a Firewall seal. Illustration #24 ( 24250-8994 and 25051-N4500 ). That little Top Hat in the pictures only comes with a new Speedo cable.

However all is not lost. It is just a secondary seal. You can go to home depot and get a flat rubber washer that will do the same thing.  They come in various sizes and have approx a 1/8" dia inner hole.

As a matter of Fact, the 1600 and 2000 Roadster used exactly that type of flat rubber washer to prevent oil from climbing up the cable. Flat washer on right.

2688.1.jpg

Edited by Chickenman

24 minutes ago, Chickenman said:

Unfortunately the Part numbers you quoted are in fact a Firewall seal. Illustration #24 ( 24250-8994 and 25051-N4500 ). That little Top Hat in the pictures only comes with a new Speedo cable.

However all is not lost. It is just a secondary seal. You can go to home depot and get a flat rubber washer that will do the same thing.  They come in various sizes and have approx a 1/8" dia inner hole.

As a matter of Fact, the 1600 and 2000 Roadster used exactly that type of flat rubber washer to prevent oil from climbing up the cable. Flat washer on right.

2688.1.jpg

So where's the seal I bought go?  In the cable end or the speedo cog?  I've read where a guy put in a seal like I bought and it still leaked a little.  He wrapped the threads with teflon tape and stopped it.  Just curious, I'll see when I get under there.  Thanks again for those numbers.

Excellent information everyone.  I appreciate the alternative grommet option, i figured there was another way and i'm glad to see that there is.  I'll go poke around for a grommet.

Also, i'm assuming that i need to grease up all these components when I install them, is that what you have seemed to find out site?

2 minutes ago, DaveR said:

Excellent information everyone.  I appreciate the alternative grommet option, i figured there was another way and i'm glad to see that there is.  I'll go poke around for a grommet.

Also, i'm assuming that i need to grease up all these components when I install them, is that what you have seemed to find out site?

I haven't done mine yet but I'll smear some type of lube around the oring before I shove it back into the transmission.  And I also appreciate the rubber washer alternative.  I kept telling my parts guy that it looked like a top hat and he says "Nooo, no, nooo".  :)

Cliff, I'm surprised that your Nissan Parts guy told you that you had to buy 10 of the outer O-rings. The Part number is for one. Maybe things are different in the USA, but in Canada I was able to order one and it came in it's own individual sealed Nissan package.

There is another way to make a seal for to replace the " Top Hat " seal. Clean the inside of the speedometer cable ( Transmission end ) fitting thoroughly with Brake Clean. Then apply some light grease or oil to the inner cable for .about the first inch or two. Then get some Automotive RTV and partially fill the inside of the screw coupling . It doesn't have to be very thick, but you basically want to make an RTV " washer " that seals the cavity and the inner cable. The oil or grease on the inner cable will prevent the RTV from sticking to it. Now screw the speedometer cable coupling assembly back onto the speedo gear housing. Wait about 30 minutes before using, or whatever set time for your RTV is. Voila, you've just made a new Top Hat. Did this to my old Rally Datsun back in the " Day " it worked slick.

• Like 1

I ordered just one, it was like $1.25 but when I went to get it he said I had to buy the hole pack.  Of course I said "what the hell??" and he did say that was something new they have to do on non stocking parts.  If he opened the pack for my one, the dealership would be stuck with 9 that would never sale.  I think it's more the owner of the dealerships decision, I live in a small town. :)

I'm gonna look for a top hat washer when I go after the oring tomorrow.  I'll look for about 2 minutes in the Hillman drawers Lowes has, if I don't see one I'll shoot a little black RTV in there.  Thank You!