IGNORED

76 Locking Gas Cap

Mark Maras

It makes sense that the fuel filler components didn't change until the larger tank showed up, which I'm fairly sure is a 280 thing. early 260 should be the same as 240.. The fiche showed the 260 being same as 280, but the change is likely late 260. 

Anything. bolt count is the easy visual check. three early (easy), four late (harder, but do-able)

Howdy all,

Something different.  I have been told by my neighbor, the one who painted the repairs on RedBird when I took her in, that he would sand and paint a replacement door for me for free.  The exciting part is that I might be able to find a door with a twist lock in it, much easier than I can find the illusive locking gas cap.  Yay!

Next question is, anyone here have one they would send to me quickly?  If you need to sell it, thats ok.  I would need until 7/3 when social security hits the bank before I can pay for it.  

Good news eh?

Thank you all for working thru this with me.  I do so appreciate each of you.

Jai

11 minutes ago, Patcon said:

Do you want a keyed lock in the gas door or a hand twist lock?

I am looking for a keyed lock, that eWould be easiest and cheapest for me.  If not keyed, I've seen the keyed ones alone for sale.  Could get one of those to add to a door that only had the twist type.  Stil,l making a locking door to protect RedBird.

Thanks for your Inquiry.

Have fun!

Jai

The keyed door locks need a place on the body for the key thing to lock behind. Only the early "series1" cars had the door knobs and a matching loop welded to the body for the latch to get behind. Jai would have to add something like that inside the door opening for a keyed door to be effective. 

On Friday, June 24, 2016 at 1:19 PM, Redwing said:

Jim, 

I thank you very much for making this (painfully) clear.  Not what I would have liked to hear,  but the truth always wins.

Charles,

Thank you for showing the photos to make it absolutely clear what Jim said.  And thank you for your suggestion about the bracket and screws.   I think I'll pass on that idea.  Pretty far away from a stock Z, which I'm wanting to keep RedBird at.

Jai

1 hour ago, Patcon said:

Jim is right there is not lip on the 280z gas filler area. you could add a little bracket with screws to catch the lock...

20160625_100923.jpg

What Pontiac? is that in the background? 

Not trying to be a pest but I want to see Tiger!  Do you still have the Harlequin?  I have a special fondness for Brindals.  I had a Brindal Boxer when I was young.  Then my Jelly Bean. 8^)

20150226_082028.jpg